Closed Thread

Thread: When do I Start Closing Process?

Default When do I Start Closing Process?

Its been a GREAT pool season, and an easy one, due to this forum.

Thanks Alot!!

I'm having my pool closed this year by a pool company (1st year, wife doesn't let me do it myself) on Sept. 19. How much before that do I start the closing process? How long does it take for me to shock, polyquat, & shock again?

Also, does anyone open their DE filter & clean it out now? Do I just have them blow it out & leave it?

Thanks again.

Default Re: When do I Start Closing Process?

Quote Originally Posted by wetshoes1 View Post
    I'm having my pool closed this year by a pool company (1st year, wife doesn't let me do it myself) on Sept. 19. How much before that do I start the closing process? How long does it take for me to shock, polyquat, & shock again?
    Depending on where you live, that could be pretty early. I take out everything but the ladder (for safety reasons), clean the waterline etc. and put everything away when we stop swimming, but I don't close until the forecast starts calling for freezing temps. IMO early closing and late opening are prime causes of algae in the spring. Last year, I swam on October 4th (in Indiana) with no heater, and closed in early November. This year, I might swim this evening, but with the forecast, I'll be done after today.

If the pool company is doing a standard closing, they will be planning to add chemicals, and they may not be anything you want added.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

John is totally correct. Early closing + late opening = more chance of a mess. Same with the chemicals. They do what's best for them, not you.The best part of doing the closing yourself is you can do it in stages. Ladders, rails, anything else that gets removed can be done early, when swim season is over. You can even blow things like solar heaters, etc, early while keeping basic circulation going as late as possible. If a company does it they do it at their convenience, not yours. If you still want to use a company make sure you are home when they do it. Take notes, even video, whatever is convenient. Once you see the process, which really isn't complicated, you can save a bunch of $$$ and DIY from here on.
    Al

I certainley will not let the pool co. add any chemicals. They added chems on startup & messed up. I'll take care of the chems.

My question was much time do I need to shock, poly, & shock? Are we talking about 1-2 days, or 3-4 days?

Thanks

Closed Thread