+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Test results are good but water is cloudy

Crispyc21 is offline ** No working email address ** Crispyc21 0

Default Test results are good but water is cloudy

This is the first year I've started having problems keeping the water clear. The strange thing is my test results are all in the proper ranges.
    FC: 4.5
    CC: 0
    Alk: 100
    PH: 7.3 (between 7.2-7.5)
    Cal: 60
    CYA: 30
    temp: 72
    IG, Vinyl, 22k gal.

Now after I did my test for CC with no change, I let the water in the tube sit while I was doing my other tests. After about 10 min it did turn a little pinkish so I added a drop to clear it up. So maybe that reading should be .5.

How can my pool be cloudy and have some green on the sides when the CC reading is 0 or .5?

I am waiting for a new kit from Ben but I'm running out of stuff and will have to make a trip to the pool store to find some test kits. I guess I'll just start shocking and see what happens.
    Any other ideas?
    Here are some pictures. The "green on side" picture is from last week. It just brushed right off. The "Cloudy" pictures are this week and after I brushed it.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...reenOnSide.jpg
    http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...udyDeapEnd.jpg
    http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...ShallowEnd.jpg

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Test results are good but water is cloudy

Maybe your chlorine level dropped too low at some point and the algae began. Sometimes people will have the beginnings of something in their pool but no CC reading. Go ahead and shock the pool. Test a couple or 3x a day and each time take your chlorine back up to shock level. Also run your pump 24/7. Brush the pool, especially the parts where you see algae growing. Your water will clear up.

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

Sometimes even though there is no combined chlorine you can start to have algae. It is when there is enough chlorine in the water to keep a big bloom at bay. Have you noticed that you have had to add chlorine more often? You will need to take the chlorine level up to shock, and keep it there for a couple of days to make sure all that is started is killed. With a cya of 30, you need to take the chorine up to 15ppms and leave it there being very consistant. Don't let it fall down below 15, and brush and and backwash often, keeping the filter running 24/7 till your water is clear.
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

Thanks for the replys. I'm off to buy more bleach!!

Are you running SWG?
    Yes I am a newbie

Grecian 17'x33' Vinyl liner pool
    ZeoBrite filteration
    SWG Aqua-rite
    Sta-Rite Dura-Glas 1.5hp pump.
    SAM Light

21037.5 gallons

No, I'm not running SWG. I've started to shock it and it's clearing up. I didn't know why my CC was 0 and my water was cloudy. But as long as it's clearing up I'm happy. I am doing a lot of landscaping around the pool and a lot of dirt has been getting in the pool. I'm sure that's not helping.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Smile Re: Test results are good but water is cloudy

Crispy, any chance that there was some fertilizer in the dirt that entered the pool - what helps plants grow in your yard will also help grow algae in the pool Just mentioning this so that if some more goes in, you'll know to shock before the algae starts. Hope you never have this problem again!
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

+ Reply to Thread