+ Reply to Thread

Thread: White Tissue Mold??

Default White Tissue Mold??

I have a 5000G Endless Pool (see www.endlesspools.com) that's one year old. It is partially in ground and has a vinyl liner. It has closed channels that lead water from the foot of the pool to the propulsion unit at the head that we cannot open to clean.

This year and last we have gotten what we think is white tissue mold. It is mostly small particles but a few can be as big as a corn flake. If you trap one, it is not really white but tan and is slimy. Touch it and it will smear. Current numbers are:

FC Off scale - OTO orange - since I just hit it with a lot of liquid chlorine
    Yesterday it was 7.5 by Ben's kit.
    pH 7.5
    TA 130
    CA 100
    CYA 45
    Temp 81

Two weeks ago I drained the pool and refilled it to get the CYA down. This may have some bearing since we got the last infestation not long after we filled the pool for the first time. It might also be seasonal since it happened around the same time both this year and last.

We kept the chlorine way up (as much as 20ppm) for a month last year and it slowly went away and we had not seen it since.

Perhaps someone here has had experience with this stuff and can give some advice or at least sympathy.

Regards,
    Dick

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

Default Re: White Tissue Mold??

What can happen with the water mold is it gets into places that are hard to get at - like the closed channels that you mentioned. You will have to take it up to shock, which for a cya of 45 would be 15, and keep it there consistantly for a couple of days to a week, or until the chlorine holds overnight. It sounds like you didn't kill all of it off, and it came back after you refilled. A shock of 20 isn't that high if you had really high cya. You also have to be consistant - keep taking the chlorine up to shock by testing it as often as you can and adding bleach. Consistancy and high chlorine will kill it off - make sure to keep the filter running 24/7 while you are trying to kill the mold. Feel free to ask any questions you have, and I do have sympathy for you - but not for long, because you will win the battle of the mold
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

+ Reply to Thread