+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Algae on my pool cover

bizbad is offline ** No working email address ** bizbad 0

Default Algae on my pool cover

I have had my pool cover rolled up for about four weeks and it has grown algae on it. If I unroll it on to my pool will the algae on it take hold in the pool or will the chlorine kill it. I hate to think that I may have to take it off the reel and haul it out of the pool cage to scrub it in the grass. What a pain.

Default Re: Algae on my pool cover

Well BB,
    Since no one jumped on this one, I'll toss in my two cents. I think I'd find a convenient time when no one will be using the pool for a day or so, raise the Cl to shock and pull the cover over the pool, maybe even submerge it to get the pool water over it all and maybe even brush it with the pool brush.

I'd expect to have to do some clean-up after but if it's otherwise clean, I think most of the algae would filter out.

HTH

Chuck

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Smile Re: Algae on my pool cover

biz, chucks idea is good, btw - welcome to the forum, follow what you learn here to keep an easy to maintain pool! What I do for pink mold/ algae in my shower is to mix a 4:1 (water:6% bleach) in a 'garden/ plant sprayer' and spray it on and let it sit for a few minutes. When I rinse it off, the 'stuff' is gone and my shower sparkles. I think you could do the same thing with the cover; as you unroll it onto the pool, spray a 'shock' dose of 'bleachwater' on it and when it's fully unrolled, either dip it in the pool or rinse it with a hose. This isn't much different from Chuck's advice but allows you to use less bleach to do the job. Just an idea - Waste
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

+ Reply to Thread