Closed Thread

Thread: Closing IG for the first time

Default Closing IG for the first time

I've been reading all the posts I can find about closing the pool. I plan to drain below the returns (3), blow out the 2 skimmers plus main drain and add antifreeze which I will buy at Leslies. I plan to blow out the intake lines from the pump side, insert "gizmos" at the skimmer and plug the line at the pump.

Question: Where do I blow out the return lines? The return line starts at the pump as one, go through the filter and then the heater after which it splits to 3 returns.

Default Re: Closing IG for the first time

Quote Originally Posted by nyjobz
    I've been reading all the posts I can find about closing the pool. I plan to drain below the returns (3), blow out the 2 skimmers plus main drain and add antifreeze which I will buy at Leslies. I plan to blow out the intake lines from the pump side, insert "gizmos" at the skimmer and plug the line at the pump.

Question: Where do I blow out the return lines? The return line starts at the pump as one, go through the filter and then the heater after which it splits to 3 returns.
    No need to lower it below the returns, lower it to the bottom of the skimmer door. Buy the antifreeze wherever it's cheap. I get mine at a farm store. Leslie's isn't known for being cheap. There's usually a union in the pipe between the filter and the pool. If not, add one as access to blow the returns.

MarkC is offline Registered+ Weir Watcher MarkC 1 star

You can blow out the returns by disconnecting the unions to your filter, move the filter back to get access and then blow it out through there. I usually have all the returns bubbling away, insert the plugs, when there all plugged go back and remove one plug, let more air bubble out replug and repeat with the other remaining returns. Don't forget the pool sweep line if you have one.

What's the "Pool sweep line"?

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

With an IG do not drain below the returns. That is pretty low. No need to. How far you drain depends on your anticipated water table level over the Winter and other factors. One factor being can you periodically drain during the Winter and do you get a large ice block in the pool. Draining with an ice block can be tricky. With a liner pool the relative water levels is even more important. You can easily float a liner. I really am working on a sticky for Winterizing IG pools similar to what Watermom posted for AG pools.
    Al

Closed Thread