Closed Thread

Thread: Was there a winter preperation sticky thread in the old forums?

Default Was there a winter preperation sticky thread in the old forums?

Hi guys and gals

WOW! Did this summer fly by. I've really enjoyed spending time with my family with our first year of being pool owners. One factor that I'm sure added to my enjoyment was the fact that (with the help of this forum) our pool was well maintained and sparkling clear nearly all season. Thank you!

But now...winter time is coming and I'm not sure exactly what procedure I should follow. There seems to be alot of hype out there on...just how to close your pool. But I don't trust'em! No way. There's also no way I'm going to believe a word the pool store tells me as well. I wonder if there was a "sticky" in the old forums that could help many of us newbies???

What do I need to be concerned with when closing my pool in the upper midwest?

Pool season does seem to be over, but I know there's going to be some warm weather coming in fall. Will the factor of having some warm days to come add to an upcoming algae problem that could occur after closing my pool?

Should I consider closing now, that we're not going to be using the pool any more? or perhaps wait until the weather get a bit colder...when algae formation and chlorine use won't (possibly) be as bad?

One final consideration that I need to make on deciding when to close...is falling leaves. We have some large trees in our backyard and I'd really like to close the pool before the leaves could pose a problem.

I have a winter cover that came with my above ground pool...but was also going to buy a leaf mesh-type cover as well (to go over the winter cover). What else do I need that pertains to the cover(s)? The (ugh!) pool store had mentioned getting an inflatable pillow. Do I need one of these?

When anchoring the winter cover...what's the best method people have found to work for them? Has anyone tried the winter seal wrap? It looks like it may be similar to plastic packing wrap. It seems like it may be a good idea. Does the plastic wrap also need to be used in conjunction with another anchoring or hold down system? or is it used alone?

If I drain the pool below the skimmer...do I still need a skimmer plate? I do plan on bringing the filter and lines inside, is there anything else I need to consider when draining the pool for winter?

Chemicals? This is what worries me a bit. In this first year, my pool has been so clean...I hate to see it go green Once I drain my pool...I'll no longer have the ability to circulate. So adding chemicals seems out of the question during the approaching winter weather (unless I go with a drop in type skimmer/filter pump system).

So what do I do? Algaecide and chlorine? Won't that quickly wear off? I could just see it now...winter time will be approaching and I'll still be checking my chlorine levels. What is the recommended why to add (or maintain) winter preparation levels and what is overkill?

Any other hints or tips? Like anything else...many of us newbies may be overly concerned with winter preparation because of our ignorance. But there seems to be a bit less information for us to read on this subject than every other topic. Any help or advice you can give is greatly appreciated.

thanks!
    dan

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Was there a winter preperation sticky thread in the old forums?

Actually, one of us making a fall prep sticky is a good idea. This forum will be the "hot" forum for the next few weeks and it would save a lot of redundant typing if there was a sticky. Actually thinking about it a little more, it would probably help to have a sticky about the chemistry issues and another one about the structural issues to take care of - especially for an inground pool. We'll get to work on that and get something stickied in the next day or so.
    Last edited by Watermom; 09-04-2006 at 09:50 AM.

thanks (again)

dan

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

No problem. Actually, I already did it a few minutes ago. It is stickied at the top of this forum. "Closing an AG pool for winter." Al is working on one outlining necessary steps for preparing the equipment on an inground pool for closing.

RavenNS is offline Established User Weir Watcher RavenNS Not to be trusted

Thanks Watermom,
    I'm sure having a few stickys will cut down on redundant postings

I look forward to reading Poconos' sticky on IG pool closings

Closed Thread