+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is It Normal For New New Ig Vinyl Pool To Be Slightly Unlevel?

Default Re: Is It Normal For New New Ig Vinyl Pool To Be Slightly Unlevel?

If I were in your shoes, the answer would be simple. I am paying for a service. It should be done correctly. If not, they must fix it or are responsible for paying for it to be fixed or having it fixed if they cannot fix it themselves; it is something they caused in the process of things, and they are respsonsible. If they scooted around the issue after a few good-faith attempts were made at getting the issue resolved, than they would hear from my lawyer. Nothing less than that would be acceptable, IMO.

If I am paying for something, I expect to get exactly what I ordered. In this case, it would be a 100% level pool.
    Intex Easy Set 18 x 4-foot pool; second year.

UPDATE:Hydra Pools technical serviceperson told my husband that we would probably not have any structural problems because of the 5/8" out of level. They did say,however, that the pool should be level, and that the problem cannot be corrected wtihout tearing out the walls and replacing and leveling new panels. Basically re-doing that end of the pool ( if not the whole thing). I think my builder would split, and I am not sure a Lawyer could do anything, but get a judgement, since you can't get blood out of a turnip. It boils down to this according to HYDRA- Either redo it to make it right ( Snowy- that's getting what I paid for). Or, on the other hand, I could settle for appearance damages ( getting less than what I paid for, but getting a refund). I'm not sure that I am convinced that we will never have structural problems down the road. Still leaning heavily on this forum's members that have specific experience dealing with IG liner pools.
    I am waiting for another response from Waste- He is a jewel! Anybody else with personal experience with lIG liner pools, please chime in. What about you DIYers out there?

duraleigh Guest

My pool ended up about 1/4" low in one corner. Structurally, I would put anything less than maybe 3/4" in the "no big deal" category.

Cosmetically, I don't think 5/8 would bug me but we all individually chose a degree of imperfection we can live with.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Talking Re: Is It Normal For New New Ig Vinyl Pool To Be Slightly Unlevel?

Web, it's me (the jewel ) Let me set your mind at ease about the structural integrety, the materials used are fine and being out of level doesn't compromise them. The pool where the collar etc washed out was on the side of the pool that the retaining wall hadn't been installed yet (it was due to be done the week after the rain) (we built the pool on a sloped backyard, the side that failed was the 'exposed side' - hopefully my boss learned to let the retaining wall guys do their thing BEFORE we finish the pool). I believe that your pool is fully surrounded by 'virgin earth, so it's a problem you won't have to worry about
    As for the stuff in your post this AM: I misspoke (mistyped?) myself by implying that 1/8" was the point of 'severity', the pools I mentioned were 1+" out of level, what I meant to imply was that 1/8" is very acceptable because the LASER transits we use have a margine of error of +/- 1/16". I can live with myself if a pool is out of level by ~1/4", anything over that falls into the catagory of "what the heck did we do? - over 1" is IMHO 'severe'. Your ~1/2" (sight transits can have a margin of error that much). Your issue is compounded by the tile pattern, if you didn't have the tile pattern to show you the 'unleveldness', you probably wouldn't be able to see it (unless you used Waterwork's advice and got out the tape measure).
    It is ALWAYS easier to fix a problem before the deck is installed! However, this doesn't need to be the major fix you envision. A quick fix could involve draining ~1' of water, removing the liner from the affected area, removing the coping and somehow 'shimming' the coping up to level. The problem is finding a suitable material to do the shimming (cedar shims would eventually rot out, metal has to be ~impervious to the moisture found under a pool deck, etc and whatever is used needs to be able to go from ~0" to ~3/4"). But if you can raise the coping to level, the liner will follow.
    Having offered a ?posible? solution to fix it, I will say that I would try to get $2000 for the (various) 'appearance damages' (I'd start at $2500 and let myself be brought down to 2000, but why not 'shoot for the moon' and start with $3000?) With that money you could get an SWCG and/ or take DH on a nice getaway (preferably when the deck gets poured - you're not supposed to walk on it for a couple of days right after it's poured). The 'unleveledness' is something only you will notice (your friends etc who come over to swim will just be impressed by the quality and clarity of your water, if you follow the advice posted here!! D) )
    I hope I've been able to set your mind at ease and offer some helpful hints as to what to do. As always, if you need a little more on what I've said, just ask
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

tenax is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver tenax 0

well said, "precious"..i mean.."jewel"

Thumbs up Re: Is It Normal For New New Ig Vinyl Pool To Be Slightly Unlevel?

Thanks Waste. We reshot the pool from several points. It is from 1/4" off to 1/2" off in places. PB claims that it is only 1/4" off with his level. Hydra Pools tech department feel as you do that structurally the pool should be fine. I agree, now is the time to do a quick fix, if we are going to, but hubby thinks the PB will walk off the job. PB told hubby today that we questioned and second guessed him more than any customer in 30 years, and that he has never wanted to walk off a job any worse than he has ours . This intimidated hubby dear. So, I think DH plans to let PB continue to work and complete the job-- then address any complaints. I will try to change his mind and get him to ask about putting shims in the coping. DH doesn't want PB to quit before we get our mechanical equipment and 1000 sq ft of concrete decking. We will owe him a few thousand bucks when he is finished, but if my husband will let me, I will negotiate a lesser fee because of the appearance loss. If the liner didn't draw attention to the lack of level, it would be a mute point. But it does, and I think we at least need compensation for that. Thanks for giving me ideas on what is a fair amount. I will keep you posted. Anyone out there got any suggestions for what to use for shims? This forum is tops!
    Last edited by webfeet; 09-06-2006 at 10:30 PM.

Red face Re: Is It Normal For New New Ig Vinyl Pool To Be Slightly Unlevel?

Maybe you could get them to put in a different style liner without a border so that the waterline difference wouldn't be so noticeable. Just a thought.....
    Boby

I have thought of that, and I think it makes a lot of sense. That is something that could be done after the project is completed- which is when DH wants to address the issue again. So maybe we will ask PB for a new liner or the 2500.00 and see what he says. He's afraid that if the PB gets to trying to shim the coping that he will get it out of whack even more.

tenax is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver tenax 0

can you "hold" the money you owe him subject to satisfactory conclusion? you might want to consult a lawyer to make sure you're covered..that's what i would do.

My pool was just completed and it is out by 1" from where the stairs are in the shallow end to the deep end. Does not look very good when you eye it along the liner. I talked to the builder about this and he said that he always raises the shallow end a bit and the stairs so that the pool will always drain into the deep end. Not sure if I believe this or not but I don't think there is anything I can do about it. I would not think that this would cause any structural issues as the pools are really strong these days. Therefore I am just going to live with it the way it is.

Cheers

+ Reply to Thread