+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mabrolat's pool build

Default Mabrolat's pool build

We took the (pun intended) PLUNGE and started our pool this week - owner/builder. We have awesome subs lined up, but are still struggling with some details. Would love your input on this:
    • 29,000 sf in-ground gunite pool
    • 675 sf surface area
    • 40' x 19' roman dive pool (max depth 8'6") with 8 ft diameter spa connected by spillway
    • POOL PUMP: 2-HP Hayward Northstar
    • SPA PUMP: 2-HP Hayward Northstar to 8 spa jets via 2.5" line (additional 4 therapy jets connected to pool system via 2" line)
    • SKIMMER: Pentair Bermuda (1)
    • CLEANER: Suction type (not spec'd) with separate dedicated cleaning fitting
    • LIGHTS: Hayward Colorlogic - 2 in pool, one in spa
    • FILTER: Hayward Swimclear 425 sf cartridge
    • CHLORINATOR: Autopilot DIG-22 w/ SC-48
    • CONTROLLER: Jandy Aqualink RS Control system with PDA-PS8
    • HEATER: H-series 400k nat gas low NOx
    • DRAINS: 2 main in pool, 4 in spa w/ 2.5" lines to pump
    • POOL RETURNS: 2" lines
    • Equipment pad is at 0-grade 30 feet from nearest point of pool

We're still grappling with:

1. PUMP. Plans call out for 2-2HP pumps. Seems excessive, but maybe necessary. Not sure the difference between full and max rated, and if single or dual speed would work.

2. AIR BLOWER: Plans have bubbler lines trenched and laid, but with "blower optional." With venturi jets, will I get that much more adding yet another electrically hungry component in the system? Will it cool down the water too much?

3. CHLORINATOR. Originally spec'd for digital, but considering Total Control...is it worth it?

4. CONTROLLER. Really liked the Jandy PDA PS8 interface, but heard rumor that all the bugs may not yet be worked out on it. Any better wireless controllers out there?

5. CLEANER: Leaning toward Hayward, but not sold. Navigator/Ultra Vac? Your thoughts?

Considering it is s'posed to be about 105 degrees this Labor Day, I am very excited about getting this pool started, and finished before next summers' heat waves. Thanks for all your advice in advance!

-Marla

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Default Re: Mabrolat's pool build

Quote Originally Posted by mabrolat

We're still grappling with:

1. PUMP. Plans call out for 2-2HP pumps. Seems excessive, but maybe necessary. Not sure the difference between full and max rated, and if single or dual speed would work.
    Full rated vs. max rates (also called uprated) pumps is a numbers game (with a number called the 'service factor') that manufactuers play to make it seem like a pump has a higher hosepower. They take the rated HP and multiply it by the service factor. This gives the 'brake horsepower' of the pump. Uprated pumps have a smaller service factor and a higher rated HP but the brake HP is exactly the same as the next smallest size full rated pump in their line. I can best illustate it with an example. The Pentair Whisperflo 1 HP full rated pump has a service factor of 1.65. 1x1.65=1.65 brake HP. The 1.5 HP uprated model has a service factor of 1.1 so 1.5x1.1=1.65 brake horsepower. They are exactly the same pump! (If you check the parts list for them you will find that they have exactly the same volute, impeller, etc.). The performance curves for both pumps are identical also. Funny thing is the full rated 1 hp pump usually costs more thant the 1.5 uprated one. This is true many times in other manufactuers lines that offer both full rated and uprated models of the same pump. Some pumps only come in uprated, the Pentair Pinnacle is an example. The service factor on these pumps is the giveaway to this. Bottom line, an uprated pump will have basically the same brake HP as the next smallest full rated one.
    2. AIR BLOWER: Plans have bubbler lines trenched and laid, but with "blower optional." With venturi jets, will I get that much more adding yet another electrically hungry component in the system? Will it cool down the water too much?
    I have a bubbler ring in my spa and a blower. The bubbler ring produces a different effect than the jets and I personally like it. It does cool the water somewhat but this is not necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes I want to cool the spa down a bit when I am in it. In my spa the bubbler drops the temp a few degrees over about 10 minutes but the heater kicks in to compensate so warm water comes out of the jets. It's a nice effect. I can control the blower separetely from the jets so I can have jets, blower or both. The portable spa I have owned in the past also had a blower. It also was plumbed to 'supercharge' the jets above the normal venturi operation. I didn't have my built in spa plumbed this way and am very pleased with just the plain venturi action of the jets. I think this is because my old portable did not have as big a pump on it, my current pool/spa use a shared 1.5 HP uprated whisperflo.
    3. CHLORINATOR. Originally spec'd for digital, but considering Total Control...is it worth it?
    Autopilot make an excellent SWG. Don't know much about the Total control system other than what I have read but it looks good to me.
    4. CONTROLLER. Really liked the Jandy PDA PS8 interface, but heard rumor that all the bugs may not yet be worked out on it. Any better wireless controllers out there?
    I have a Goldline Aqualogic PS-8 that includes the SWG cell. Nice feature is being able to set different chlorinator cell outputs for the pool and spa and the floating wireless spa remote. Very happy with it. The newest software revision allows you to set macros so one button can control multiple features.
    5. CLEANER: Leaning toward Hayward, but not sold. Navigator/Ultra Vac? Your thoughts?
    Navigator is a good suction side cleaner. We sell more of them than any other model or brand where I work (we also sell Zodiac Baracuda, Polaris and Poolmaid suction cleaners). Maintenace parts for it are less expensive than on the other brands we sell. Usually only have to replace the flaps and feet as they wear and they are not that expensive. Our cusomters who have them seem to be very pleased with them.
    Considering it is s'posed to be about 105 degrees this Labor Day, I am very excited about getting this pool started, and finished before next summers' heat waves. Thanks for all your advice in advance!

-Marla
    Hope this is helpful.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Default Re: Mabrolat's pool build

Hi be good to see your progress. am in process of building pool owner builder ( with some awesome help from a local steel contractor) am in so cal also in inland empire . hope the latest rains did not ruin your pool site sa it did mine.

15X30 ig pool only

+ Reply to Thread