+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: SeanB.'s Pool Build

Default Re: SeanB.'s Pool Build

I would definately recommend adding more decking if you think you may need it. I know that it is expensive but it is also something that is very difficult to add later and have it match. We started with 845 square feet on our original quote and if you can believe it we actually added more for a total of 1450 square feet. I thought my wife was nuts...especially when I wrote the check, but I must say it looks GREAT!

Quote Originally Posted by SeanB. View Post
    eljefe, any pictures of your build to share? I haven't seen a thread yet.
    I've got some, but I think I'll wait until the plumbing is finished early this week to create a thread.
    Pool owner - contract signed 21Aug2006; HOA approval granted; complete - existing patio demolition; excavation; rebar; embedded plumbing; gunite; plumbing; electrical; tile and coping; decking; plaster; pool fill; acid start-up; regular start-up; pool school; gas meter upgrade; additional of salt; PDA remote programming.

SeanB. is offline --General User-- Weir Watcher SeanB. 0

Quote Originally Posted by Ready2swim View Post
    I would definately recommend adding more decking if you think you may need it. I know that it is expensive but it is also something that is very difficult to add later and have it match. We started with 845 square feet on our original quote and if you can believe it we actually added more for a total of 1450 square feet. I thought my wife was nuts...especially when I wrote the check, but I must say it looks GREAT!
    Wow, I'd love to do that much decking, but it won't be in the budget. We've already paid for 460 and will probably add up to another three hundred. What material did you use? Concrete? We are using Sundek, and at $9.00/sq ft, it adds up really fast.

I was looking at your pictures and didn't realize there was that much decking - looks like there is more than is shown in the pictures though. How wide is the path around your pool, and how long is the walkway from your house to the pool?
    Last edited by SeanB.; 09-25-2006 at 08:31 PM.
    Site owner -- www.troublefreepool.com

We also used SunDeck...I will take an updated photo today and try to post it in the morning. The path leading to the pool is 8' at its narrowest point and the path around the pool is 4' at the smallest point and 8' along the right hand side (step side). Then on the deep end of the pool is a large 19' radius for a table and chairs. We also have another porch that was covered and already had the concrete we just had to pay the extra money for the SunDeck to be sprayed over it. Like I said i will post another updated picture tomorrow.

Regards,

We also used SunDeck...I will take an updated photo today and try to post it in the morning. The path leading to the pool is 8' at its narrowest point and the path around the pool is 4' at the smallest point and 8' along the right hand side (step side). Then on the deep end of the pool is a large 19' radius for a table and chairs. We also have another porch that was covered and already had the concrete we just had to pay the extra money for the SunDeck to be sprayed over it. Like I said i will post another updated picture tomorrow.

Regards,

Thanks. I guess it's just hard to see the texture of the surface in the picture.
    Last edited by SeanB.; 09-25-2006 at 08:30 PM.

Thanks. I guess it's just hard to see the texture of the surface in the picture.
    Sean,

Here is a couple of pictures...sorry to confuse you, the pictures you viewed earlier were not updated and the SunDeck wasnt installed yet. You can see in these pictures that the decking goes all the way around the back of the pool (except for behind the waterfall) and then back into the existing porch and around the side of the house. The decking was a MAJOR part of our cost but in the end we are happy with it. I am glad to hear that you are having a much better experience than we did...maybe we were just too far out of town. Anyway, good luck and keep sending us those updates!
    Attached Images

Sean,

Here is a couple of pictures...sorry to confuse you, the pictures you viewed earlier were not updated and the SunDeck wasnt installed yet. You can see in these pictures that the decking goes all the way around the back of the pool (except for behind the waterfall) and then back into the existing porch and around the side of the house. The decking was a MAJOR part of our cost but in the end we are happy with it. I am glad to hear that you are having a much better experience than we did...maybe we were just too far out of town. Anyway, good luck and keep sending us those updates!
    Thanks for the update. I didn't want to be rude, but I was thinking to myself, 'That just looks like concrete with no texture.' I was thinking maybe the pictures were just really deceptive. It looks entirely different in the new pictures - very nice. Just curious, what would you estimate the square footage to be in the portion actually seen in the pictures?

BTW, they are installing our coping as I type. I should have some updated pictures in just a while. And yes, we are very happy with Richard's at this point, however, being far out of town is no excuse for delivering poor service in your case. They knew how far away you lived when they took the job, and your money.
    Last edited by SeanB.; 09-26-2006 at 12:31 PM.

Sean,

I don't know if you can or want to go this route or not. My PB has given me the flexibility of adding more deck (at cost) if we decide to do so. His only stipulation is that I will need to be there during framing (to make adjustments) and the pour (to pay). I will have to write a check to the concrete company for the additional concrete if I add additional decking. Perhaps you can negotiate that with your PB to help knock a few pennies off the top and get what you really want. His true responsibility is his obligation to the contract you and he signed (Words from my PB's mouth).

A side note to "Ready2Swim", you have a great looking pool layout and decking. I hope ours turns out to be as nice as yours looks.

Looking forward to updated pics of tile and coping. FYI, that was flagstone you were looking at on my post. My wife and I did some hand picking of the sheets of flagstone to get exactly what we wanted.

Thanks for the update. I didn't want to be rude, but I was thinking to myself, 'That just looks like concrete with no texture.' I was thinking maybe the pictures were just really deceptive. It looks entirely different in the new pictures - very nice. Just curious, what would you estimate the square footage to be in the portion actually seen in the pictures?

BTW, they are installing our coping as I type. I should have some updated pictures in just a while.
    Man they are really moving fast on your build...we were already two months into construction at the tile and coping phase!

I would estimate the square footage that you can see in the pictures to be around 1300 square feet if you use your imagination looking at the porch (I know it is a little hard to see because the katch a kid fence is in the way). I attached a picture of the covered porch area...

If I were to estimate the square footage around the pool I would say probably around 950 square feet. The total square footage of decking is 1450 which is a lot of decking. Our contract called for 3' of decking around the perimeter of the pool and we added at least 1' of decking around the entire perimeter and then got a little carried away in some spots. We thought 3' just wasnt enough when we actually saw it on the ground. If you are looking at the second picture (IMG 1931) the area in front of the pool closest to the house is 4' away from the pool.

We are adding salt tonight and starting the SWCG, I will also program the Easy Touch System and I will finally have my remote tonight so I dont have to walk back in the mud to turn the pumps on.

Landscaping starts tomorrow and then we are DONE!
    Attached Images

Landscaping starts tomorrow and then we are DONE!
    Famous last words - we have been "done" for over a month and still have lists we want to do. You have time to sit out there and enjoy your new pool and then you start thinking - wouldn't it be nice if you had this... or did that? Maybe it's a female thing
    Completed 8/21/06
    14,000 gallon 3'-6' concrete pool with Diamond Brite
    Spa with spillway
    250K BTU gas heater (for spa)
    SWCG - Aqua Rite
    Hayward Super II Pump - Cartridge filter

See pictures here http://www.philsimmons.com/family/ga...mages&keyword=

+ Reply to Thread