Closed Thread

Thread: To blow your pipes or not!

Question To blow your pipes or not!

I have an IG pool. I live in northern Alabama where about the lowest the winter temps get are around low teens and that's usually only during the nights. Occassionally, we will have colder temps but rarely. I was told by a pool store owner that she hasn't blown out her pipes in 15 years and I haven't either in the last 2 years.

My question: is it okay to leave your pipes with water in them and drain the pump, filter, and other above ground equipment. The theory is that with all the valves open and no plugs as the water starts to freeze it will expand and the water will flow back into the pool where it won't actually freeze. This only works if your pump and filter are above the pool water level.

Any thoughts on this? My neighbor usually blows his pipes and plugs them (but doesn't use anti-freeze). I just want to make sure.

Thanks!

Default Re: To blow your pipes or not!

The risk/reward ratio on this decision would scare me to death. If I don't plan on keeping the pool open and there's a chance of freezing temps, I'm spending the 1/2 hour and $4 and blowing my pipes out.

I wouldn't risk it either. I'd not only blow them out, I'd add a bit of antifreeze as a safety measure.
    Why BBB? Because money can't buy happiness, but saving it sure can!

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

The big question is how deep is the frost line. I do eventually blow and plug pipes but as Winter approaches I try and keep the equipment functional as late as possible since I don't cover. Even with nights in the teens I just drain the above ground pipes and wrap a bunch of old rags around the multiport valve and filter top so the heat from the sand filter keeps the valve and gauge above freezing. The chlorinator has enough water in it so it won't freeze solid overnight. Have the added advantage of the equipment being located in a poolhouse that buffers the temperature swings somewhat. Of course the solar things are drained long before the equipment hibernates. Solar heaters are also good heat radiators and will freeze solid in minutes on a clear cool night.
    Al

Closed Thread