+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Aqua Rite

Default New Aqua Rite

Our Aquarite SWCG was started yesterday. I have a couple questions - I did search past posts but wasn't able to find the info I am exactly looking for.
    1. Pool builder put the salt in the pool yesterday morning and scrubbed the pool. Not all of it dissolved - DH said the bottom looked like a salt beach! I scrubbed it for about 20 minutes when I got home from school last night, but I don't think it all got dissolved. The water is pretty cloudy now - I am assuming because of the undissolved salt - the pump has been running constantly since they added it yesterday. I was thinking about running the Navigator to suck it into the filter and let it dissolve there - but will it plug it up?
    2. The pool builder added CYA last Friday - I will be testing it tonight to see where it is at, but the warranty guidelines is a CYA of 60-80 with chlorine between 1ppm-3ppm. This chlorine level is really low as compared to the best guess chart - I was going to run the chlorine between 5ppm-8ppm and then let my sample I have to take to the pool store sit in the sun to get the chlorine level to what the warranty guidelines are - my question is what chlorine level should I follow - the literature or the best guess? What is everyone else doing?

This morning my test results were FC-4, CC-0, PH-7.8 (added acid). Monday tests ALK-80 & CH-190.
    Completed 8/21/06
    14,000 gallon 3'-6' concrete pool with Diamond Brite
    Spa with spillway
    250K BTU gas heater (for spa)
    SWCG - Aqua Rite
    Hayward Super II Pump - Cartridge filter

See pictures here http://www.philsimmons.com/family/ga...mages&keyword=

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Default Re: New Aqua Rite

My curiosity kicked in. You said 1-3 ppm for warranty guidelines. What warranty? Is that on the SWCG or something else? FYI I don't have one of those things.
    Al

Smile Re: New Aqua Rite

Can't answer your first question (each bag of my salt dissolved within 15-20 minutes) but can direct you to a link for a great debate on your second.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=4495

FYI, I'm just not totally convinced that the lower CL levels will adequately take care of my pool. I'm less than 3 months with this pool and about 4-6 weeks with the SWCG. So, for now, I'm running a CYA of 45-50 and CL levels 5-10, but mostly 6-9. Tons of UV exposure and lots of wind blowing in small debris. Air temps have just this week dropped down from the low 100's.
    Pump is on 12 hours per day and the generator is set on 60% - for now.
    Sandy
    15,600 gallon, screened 15x30 IG plaster sport pool with 6x8 tanning area, Aquarite SWCG, Hayward cartridge filter, Polaris 280 cleaner

Thanks for supporting the Salt CHlorinator industry

Quote Originally Posted by Simmons99
    Our Aquarite SWCG was started yesterday. I have a couple questions - I did search past posts but wasn't able to find the info I am exactly looking for.
    1. Pool builder put the salt in the pool yesterday morning and scrubbed the pool. Not all of it dissolved - DH said the bottom looked like a salt beach! I scrubbed it for about 20 minutes when I got home from school last night, but I don't think it all got dissolved. The water is pretty cloudy now - I am assuming because of the undissolved salt - the pump has been running constantly since they added it yesterday. I was thinking about running the Navigator to suck it into the filter and let it dissolve there - but will it plug it up?
      -->The salt should have dissolved with the combination of brushing, warm water temps and your filter pump running (WITH THE BOTTOM DRAIN OPENED), within a few hours, if not sooner! If you have a rough surface still, I would suspect it to be calcium, rather than salt. This is a problem with new pool construction and plaster finishes. The constantly high pH will allow the calcium hardness to form sharp/rough growths throughout the pool. KEEP AHEAD OF YOUR pH AND MAINTAIN IT ON THE LOW SIDE (7.2- 7.4) until the plaster cures.
    2. The pool builder added CYA last Friday - I will be testing it tonight to see where it is at, but the warranty guidelines is a CYA of 60-80 with chlorine between 1ppm-3ppm. This chlorine level is really low as compared to the best guess chart - I was going to run the chlorine between 5ppm-8ppm and then let my sample I have to take to the pool store sit in the sun to get the chlorine level to what the warranty guidelines are - my question is what chlorine level should I follow - the literature or the best guess? What is everyone else doing?
    -->I keep mind at about 3 ppm, 70 - 80 ppm cya, pH spot on at 7.3. Alk tested at 100 ppm, CH = 250 ppm. Tremendous rain with Trop Storm Ernesto just dropped a bunch of tree debris, but nothing to affect the system. Pool is as clean and clear as can be!
    The discussion with SWG is that it does not follow the Best Guess charts. It is more efficient at oxidizing the chloramines. MOST swg owners will confirm the lower FC levels with the higher CYA levels as perfectly acceptable.

This morning my test results were FC-4, CC-0, PH-7.8 (added acid). Monday tests ALK-80 & CH-190.

Thanks
    Last edited by Poolsean; 09-01-2006 at 12:03 PM.
    Sean Assam
    Commercial Product Sales Manager - AquaCal AutoPilot Inc. Mobile: 954-325-3859
    e-mail: sean@teamhorner.com --- www.autopilot.com - www.aquacal.com

Thanks Pool Sean,

It is salt - it's not rough - you can pick it up in your hand - they dumped in Morton's solar salt - all 400 + lbs. I ran home at lunch and it looks like it has cleared up, but I didn't have time to brush- yep I have been running with the main drain on.

Also - I do try to keep PH between 7.2-7.4 - but it sky rocketed after the salt was added yesterday - I added some acid this morning and tested about 20 minutes later and it looked like it was between 7.2-7.5 - but I don't think it was really mixed up yet.

The warranty guidelines are for the pool in general - the finish, equipment, heater, etc.

Since I am new to pool care - I am afraid that I will get algae with the chlorine at 1-3ppm with a CYA of 60-80. I guess I can try it and see what happens....
    Completed 8/21/06
    Spa with spillway
    SWCG - Aqua Rite

Quote Originally Posted by dawndenise
    Can't answer your first question (each bag of my salt dissolved within 15-20 minutes) but can direct you to a link for a great debate on your second.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=4495

FYI, I'm just not totally convinced that the lower CL levels will adequately take care of my pool. I'm less than 3 months with this pool and about 4-6 weeks with the SWCG. So, for now, I'm running a CYA of 45-50 and CL levels 5-10, but mostly 6-9. Tons of UV exposure and lots of wind blowing in small debris. Air temps have just this week dropped down from the low 100's.
    Pump is on 12 hours per day and the generator is set on 60% - for now.

I read this thread completely - and it is more of theCYA level rant/arguement - I am not aruging the CYA level - the pool builder added it to the pool - unless I want to drain and refill (which I don't) that is what it will be.

I guess my question is now - should I just keep it at the 3~4ppm level it is at now - or should I try to get it up to 5~10ppm.

I have the understanding that I will not be able to generate that much chlorine with the SWCG - so it mught be a moot point?
    Completed 8/21/06
    Spa with spillway
    SWCG - Aqua Rite

Oh yes, it can generate almost as high a chlorine level as you want. Just leave it on 100% and let the pump run. You'll get above 30 ppm.

I am comfortable with 2-3 ppm on my pool. I wouldn't risk 1 ppm. And I don't need more than 5 ppm.

My feeling, and I think I read this from Ben too...You're more likely to need a higher chlorine level at a public pool because you're dealing with alot of different people and the "stuff" they bring. THAT is the main unknown. A residential back yard pool mostly has the same people in the house using the pool, so you're not exposed to the different "stuff" as a public pool. Therefore you don't need to maintain such a high level.
    Even at 3 ppm in my pool, I have yet to have any incidence of bad reactions, cloudy water, or algae, with all the neighborhood kids in my pool. Don't have any photos but the kids are so many you can just about walk on their heads from one side to the other, without getting wet.
    Pools Rule!
    Sean Assam
    Commercial Product Sales Manager - AquaCal AutoPilot Inc. Mobile: 954-325-3859
    e-mail: sean@teamhorner.com --- www.autopilot.com - www.aquacal.com

Quote Originally Posted by Poolsean
    Oh yes, it can generate almost as high a chlorine level as you want. Just leave it on 100% and let the pump run. You'll get above 30 ppm.

I am comfortable with 2-3 ppm on my pool. I wouldn't risk 1 ppm. And I don't need more than 5 ppm.

My feeling, and I think I read this from Ben too...You're more likely to need a higher chlorine level at a public pool because you're dealing with alot of different people and the "stuff" they bring. THAT is the main unknown. A residential back yard pool mostly has the same people in the house using the pool, so you're not exposed to the different "stuff" as a public pool. Therefore you don't need to maintain such a high level.
    Even at 3 ppm in my pool, I have yet to have any incidence of bad reactions, cloudy water, or algae, with all the neighborhood kids in my pool. Don't have any photos but the kids are so many you can just about walk on their heads from one side to the other, without getting wet.
    Pools Rule!

That isgreat to hear. All my buddys says that all the neighborhood kids are gonna want to be my son's best friend. lol
    Yes I am a newbie

Grecian 17'x33' Vinyl liner pool
    ZeoBrite filteration
    SWG Aqua-rite
    Sta-Rite Dura-Glas 1.5hp pump.
    SAM Light

21037.5 gallons

Alright - well I run the pump for about 6 hours a day with the SWCG set to 60% - keeps the FC at 4. I am going to leave it there.

I tested my own CYA on Saturday - it was less than 20 - Poolstore had it at 10 last Monday.... I am guessing the pool builder didn't add any like they said they were going to - I am going to take another sample to the pool store today to verify and then add additional stablizer to get to the 60-80ppm range.

Thanks for the advice!
    Completed 8/21/06
    Spa with spillway
    SWCG - Aqua Rite

I am also new to pool ownership. Have had ours up and running now for about a month. My FC runs at about 2.5, and I thought that might be a bit low, but our water has remained crystal clear with no signs of algae.

I love this SWG system. After seeing my inlaws fight with their pool I thought I had a lot of work ahead of me. So far everything has been great, and the little maintenance I do seems a bit theraputic. Even after wasting four times for a total of about 12" of rain after Ernesto came through, it was simple to get the water back in line.

Good luck and happy pooling.

+ Reply to Thread