+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tropical Storm - and Wasting Tons of Water

Smile Tropical Storm - and Wasting Tons of Water

Hey all. I'm a new member but I've been lurking around here for a month or so now. We just had our pool finished about two weeks ago and the landscapers are working the rest now. I have learned a ton from this site and all the members and I greatly appreciate this forum.

I have a 23,300 gallon IG liner pool with Aquarite SWG and DE filter. The pool has been amazingly easy to keep balanced with the help of the SWG, a good local pool store for testing and this forum. I thought pool care was going to be a lot more work.

My first question for you all is this, we currently have tropical storm Ernesto hanging over our heads. My water level was up last evening about 1.5" from normal before the storm was even over us, so I drained the pool down about 2.5" in anticipation of more rain. I woke up this morning to see the level about 2" from the coping and completely covering the skimmer openings, so before I went to work I wasted about 6-8" of water off. May have to do it another time before the storm is over.

What would be the first things I need to be concerned with or do once this has passed to get chemistry right after wasting so much water from the pool. If it's just a matter of "go down to the PS and test the water" not a problem, just thought I'd ask if there are any immediate things to do.

I've been through 8 hurricanes in my time, and this storm really isn't much of anything, but I never had to worry about a pool before.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Default Re: Tropical Storm - and Wasting Tons of Water

Welcome to the forum.
    Nothing special to do, just do a complete series of tests and tweak the chemistry as needed. With the quantity of rain I doubt it would be acidic but in any case, with a vinyl pool, pay special attention to the pH.
    Good Luck. We're supposed to get it tomorrow.
    Al

Thanks for the reply Al. Just got off the phone with my wife. Talked her through wasting. The water was at the top of the skimmers again. Man! it sure is coming down here.

CallMeIshmael is offline ** No working email address ** CallMeIshmael 0

I hope ernesto passes you two without too much damage in its path.
    Treyk, after the storm dies down, you may want to ask your PB about what it would take to have an overflow line installed between the normal water line & the coping, so you wouldn't have to handle it manually each time the water rises. Just a thought.

+ Reply to Thread