+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scale, Scale, Scale!

Thumbs down Scale, Scale, Scale!

Dear members,
    I have a 20x40 inground pool 40,000 gal that I have had nothing but problems this year! I live in Michigan and it has been an extremely hot summer. It is now almost Sept and I just, yes just, got my pool clear! Much to my dismay, once clarity was finally achieved i realized I have a very serious scale problem. I believe after reading some other posts that the scale is caused by using powder without premixing. Yes I'm guilty of that! What can I do to fix the problem. I have a 9ft deep end and the scale is the worst on the slants. is there anything I can do?
    Awaiting any replies,
    Kricket

duraleigh Guest

Default Re: Scale, Scale, Scale!

Kricket,

You probably have pH issues (too high) but that's only a guess.....post test results for FC, pH, Alk, Calcium and CYA and lot's of folks will help you out.

My ph is fine. I've had the other things tested & treated all summer. I dont have a good tester; I have to take my water in to pool store. Does anyone know how to treat the SCALE? I test my ph all the time and treat as necessary with ph increaser, murautic, and borax. (only needed to increase ph once this season) 7.2 is the norm. Wouldnt all the rest of the chemcials be in balance if it is finally clear? Im ready to close the pool and I guess at this point I will have to get a new liner.

If you have scale, your chemistry is not right. Relying on a pool store for testing and chemistry advice is a really bad idea. You need your own test kit. Unless you can post test result numbers, no one can give you any advice. Don't use any powdered chemicals in your pool other than CYA if needed.

Smile Re: Scale, Scale, Scale!

I realize you're looking to get rid of the scale, close up the pool and move on to enjoying fall in the Upper Midwest.

While it may seem silly to get a testing kit now (in the fall, in the Midwest) when you've been utilizing the pool store all summer, it's really the best way to solve your problem. Scale definitely means that something is out of whack with your pool water. A testing kit of your own will enable you to test as often as necessary while you're solving this problem and will save you some money on gas for trips to the pool store. Then, once the scale is gone, you can close it up and hopefully not have to buy a new liner.

If we get a full set of test results from you, we can make sure any advice given doesn't create a different problem for you - and it sounds like you've had your share this summer.
    Sandy
    15,600 gallon, screened 15x30 IG plaster sport pool with 6x8 tanning area, Aquarite SWCG, Hayward cartridge filter, Polaris 280 cleaner

Just a thought. One small mistake in calculations can lead to the wrong amount of chemicals.

Are you sure that you have the correct gallonage for your pool? A 20x 40 inground pool with a deep end and a shallow end generally has closer to 25,000 gallons {33%+/- less} water than your stated number.

If you could post all of the numbers from your last test, it would be helpful.

+ Reply to Thread