+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Huge Hole In Bottom Of Liner Pool

bkny1055 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst bkny1055 0

Default Huge Hole In Bottom Of Liner Pool

I noticed that my pool was getting low very low every week and i was constantly refilling the pool so i " mind you i never get in its for the kids "
    jump in the pool and start to check the liner and find a huge hole on the bottom / shallow side / corner
    Pool about 25,000 gallons
    inground with a liner

What can i use to fix the hole if anything
    I can Fit 4 fingers in the hole

OOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH MMMMMMMMMYYYYYYYYYYYYY GGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD DDDDD
    THIS IS GOING TO GET MESSY
    25,000 in ground Gallon Pool Jaccuzi Filter with C*9699 paper filter in it

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

Default Re: Huge Hole In Bottom Of Liner Pool

Wow - that's a big hole - what's beneath it?
    You should be able to put a large vinyl patch over it - probably have to go to the pool store for one, most hardware stores sell vinyl repair kits, but the sheets of vinyl will not be strong enough for this size of repair - I keep forgetting what glue works well (JB weld seems to ring a bell).

Yes, the pool store should sell small sheets of vinyl repair, along with a little can of the adhesive that goes with it. You can apply it yourself without draining the water.

Edit to add: When we had a large hole, the first patch got sucked right into it because it wasn't cut much bigger than the hole, plus the water was gushing out at such high pressure it took the patch right out. So keep that in mind when cutting your patch size.
    Last edited by doggie; 08-29-2006 at 12:32 PM.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Matt, I think the brand you're looking for is Boxer (someone sang it's praises here earlier this year, so a search should find it).
    bkny, cut 2 patches for the hole 1 ~ .5" larger diameter than the hole and the other ~ 1" larger diameter, glue the heck out of the small one and apply it (I use a wallpaper seam roller to insure a good bond) then glue and apply the larger patch. Oh yeah, make the patches 'rounded' to reduce the chance of them snagging saomething (ie, the vac) and comming off
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

That's it! BOXER glue, we can't get it up here, so I can't for the life of me remeber the name
    I would also check for what kind of gap is behind the hole - may need a plug before patching otherwise it may bust again.

Thanks matt4x4, doggie and waste on my way to the local Pinch - A - Penny to pick up a Patch Kit with Boxer Adhesive # 100 7bucks not bad will keep you all posted thanks again

Good luck!

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

This thread may be helpful, specifically my post #9 Patching Procedure. May give you some ideas. Please keep us posted. Can't offer anything more than what's been said already in this thread.
    Al

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?p=238

Thumbs up Re: Huge Hole In Bottom Of Liner Pool

well it seems to have been resolved
    I cut a patch in a circle, put lots of glue on it,jumped in the pool and smacked that patch on the hole

I has been holding strong since i am happy
    I was thinking that i was going to have to empty the pool to get to it but all good now thanks to you guys

tenax is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver tenax 0

Quote Originally Posted by matt4x4
    That's it! BOXER glue, we can't get it up here, so I can't for the life of me remeber the name
    I would also check for what kind of gap is behind the hole - may need a plug before patching otherwise it may bust again.

i checked into availability of this before in canada and can't recall for certain whether the company that makes ( emailed them) provided me with a canadian distributor or a list of online companies that sell it to canadians...pretty sure it was the latter and i found it readily available by contacting places like intheswim.com. (they are my "canadian tire" if you know what i mean..i have bought way more stuff from them than i ever intended to, but the price and service has been so good!)

keep in mind that just because they may not show a product on their site never means they can't get it for you.

i had a 4 inch cut thanks to my daughter's nimrod buddy who put the steps in without the pads..i was able to work with a conventional tube of swimming pool glue and it worked out great.

+ Reply to Thread