+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Preperations

Default Hurricane Preperations

DH wants me to partially drain the pool before the impending tropical system. I am not as inclined to drain below the tile level. Any thoughts? Anything else I need to do?
    Completed 8/21/06
    14,000 gallon 3'-6' concrete pool with Diamond Brite
    Spa with spillway
    250K BTU gas heater (for spa)
    SWCG - Aqua Rite
    Hayward Super II Pump - Cartridge filter

See pictures here http://www.philsimmons.com/family/ga...mages&keyword=

PatL34 is offline Lifetime Member Widget Weaver PatL34 2 stars PatL34 2 stars

Default Re: Hurricane Preperations

I live close by you in St. Cloud, and I am just going to lower the level to the bottom tile. The three hurricanes that affected us in 2004, did not give us the problems we thought we would have.

If the level starts to rise above the coping, then and only then will I drain back down.

I would remove any umbrellas in the pool area though, and plastic chairs.

If the power goes off, then have some trichlor pucks and bleach available.

Otherwise that's all I do.

Hope this helps.

Pat
    20,000 Gallon IG Diamond Brite pool, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite pump, Hayward Microclear DE3600 filter, Favco solar panels, Poolpilot DIG-220 with SC-48 cell.

+ SWCG OPERATION thread here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=1226
    + SWCG Running Costs post here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=316
    + Effective Stabilizer addition post here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?p=6645

That's what I thought - I am actually up in Sanford - right off of Lake Monroe. So I should probably start draining tomorrow afternoon if it still looks like we will get substaintial rain.

In the last week we have had 2 1/2" and we had standing water over most of the yard - it takes a while to filter down into the swamp behind the house .

At least we are not freaking out like the people down the street - they are from Michigan and were at Home Depot buying all the plywood they could fit in their SUV yesterday.
    Completed 8/21/06
    Spa with spillway
    SWCG - Aqua Rite

Wow! Small world. (Sorry to hijack your thread). I work in Sanford and live in Deltona. Unfortunately, we don't have our pool yet because the idiots in the Deltona Building Department keep rejecting our permit.

Good luck with your pool during the storm. My worst nightmare is getting the pool and screen installed and having a storm wipe out the screen.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

I'd be careful not to drain too much such that the water table level becomes an issue. I have a water table issue. I'm just a little, some say a lot, paranoid and have enough backup power to drain the pool as needed, keep the refrigeration going, and whack more food if it ever comes to that. The people from Michigan will learn soon enough that living in any area where you could be on your own for a bit, be prepared all the time. A friend in Vero Beach got whacked by Francis and Janine and didn't need a Home Depot. Had shutters, generator, fuel, radio (ham), food, and anything else needed for a long stay. Paid off. I live in N.E. Pa. (North Pole) where Winters can be brutal and so can lotsa rain. I am as best prepared as unreasonably possible.
    Al

Ernesto will make storm number 4 for me in 2 years, I'm going to do the same for the last 3 storms.

1)Shock the pool.
    2) Add water to the pool after the storm passes. Frances, Jeanne, and Wilma, I ended up adding water to the pool. All 3 times, I walked out to a swamp where my pool once was....and water level at or below water line.

As much rain that drops into the pool.........the wind pulls it out just as fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Sully
    Ernesto will make storm number 4 for me in 2 years, I'm going to do the same for the last 3 storms.

1)Shock the pool.
    2) Add water to the pool after the storm passes. Frances, Jeanne, and Wilma, I ended up adding water to the pool. All 3 times, I walked out to a swamp where my pool once was....and water level at or below water line.

As much rain that drops into the pool.........the wind pulls it out just as fast.

Yeah we were here for the storms of 2004 - but we didn't have a pool, just $12K of water damage to the house . Do you have a screen enclosure?

Personally - I am not concerned about Ernesto up here now - looks like it will just be a soaker.
    Completed 8/21/06
    Spa with spillway
    SWCG - Aqua Rite

Quote Originally Posted by Poconos
    I'd be careful not to drain too much such that the water table level becomes an issue. I have a water table issue.
    Al
    Builder put in ground water relief lines - if the ground water exerts a certain amount of pressure it will come up the two 2" PVC pipes and run out on top.

I think we are going to drain to the bottom of the tile - we are expecting 2-4". I just don't want it overflowing onto the deck and into the house.
    Completed 8/21/06
    Spa with spillway
    SWCG - Aqua Rite

bkny1055 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst bkny1055 0

also live in West Palm and all i did was put a 3 gallons of clorex in the pool and road it out..pool so clean you can see the san in the bottom of the pool from the wind i will get my trusty Baracuda G4 to scoop that stuff up for me..
    25,000 in ground Gallon Pool Jaccuzi Filter with C*9699 paper filter in it

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

St. Augustine here...did nothing to the pool, just took all the things that might blow off the deck and put them in the garage! We didn't even get that much rain here....had more a week ago if the water level in my pool is any guide!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

+ Reply to Thread