I have new neighbors and have been helping them open their pool to get a few weeks of swimming in before they have to drain it to replace the liner in the spring. The previous owners never opened the pool this spring knowing they were going to sell the house. Here's the story.

The pool is a 18' x 52" round vinyl AGP (about 7500 GAL). When the tarp came off two weeks ago, the water was more like sludge than water, and only about two feet deep. My neighbor filled the pool up the rest of the way, and I told him to start off with one 1.4 gallon bottle of 6% bleach. The green started to dissipate almost immediately, and was gone by the following morning.

He bought a DPD test kit from Walmart, and about 20 bottles of bleach on my recommendation. I also had him get some CYA at Walmart, and some Borax.

Initially, his pH was below 6.8, so I had him dump a box of 20 Mule Team, which brought him up to 7.6. His alk is at 170, and we brought his CYA up to 40. The water remained cloudy, however, almost milky white. He's been running the pump (severely oversized pump and undersized sand filter) 24 hours/day.

I had him vacuuming and back flushing daily, testing his chlorine and pH levels three times a day and adjusting as necessary. He kept it up, has been losing chlorine like crazy, and keep adding to shock level.

Now the water is clear down to about a foot above the floor, but milky white under that level. His chlorine usage has slowed considerably, until last night.

Today, the water tested back down below 6.8 pH and chlorine went to 0. WTH caused this? He has done nothing different, and has been diligent at testing and adjusting his chemistry every day, so why the sudden inexplicable drop in pH and chlorine from about 13 to nothing in such a short time?

I'm at a loss, and my neighbor is starting to get antsy. He's starting to think that I am driving him down the wrong road and that this BBB business is for the birds. I'd like to help him clear up this mess if at all possible, but I'm at a loss on this one. I did tell him to put in another box of 20 Mule Team and another jug of bleach, and we'll see what things look like in the morning.

Any further advice would be most welcome.

Numbers before the chlorine and borax add this evening:

TC = 0
pH < 6.8
TA = 170
CYA = 40ish