+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need to kill ants

jenpen400 Guest

Default Need to kill ants

Ants just chewed through my liner. I got that patched but see ants going under the pool and need to kill them in a hurry. I'm sure that drought conditions have made them more of a problem this year. I have seen two above ground pools blow out this year in our neigborhood and now I think I know why.

thanks again
    jennifer

jenpen400 Guest

Default Re: Need to kill ants

Ok, new holes they all must die! Soon!

Thanks

jennifer

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

Here is a post you may find interesting:

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...highlight=ants
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

Another folk remedy is cornmeal... sprinkle it around, and the ants will eat it and feed it to the queen. The cornmeal will swell in the ants, and BOOM! little ant bombs!
    I am not totally sure of the effectivness of this method, but sounds good in theory, and no harm done if it does not work. No poison lying around to harm pets or kiddos, either!
    ~Grace

Avid reader of this forum
    but alas, no pool... yet!

Jennifer: We're just north of SA in the Boerne area. I have fireants. I've just been going around the pool with that stinky, expensive fire ant bait... but I'm sure they're still under the pool (and the LOVE the pump). Was talking to my DH about it, who is from a family of pest control folks... he says to find a pest control company that does termite treatments. They have big wands that they can put into the ground and get underneath the pool. I don't know if the termite poison works for ants, but it should and if not, they can probably use something else... but their equipment is the most likely to get up underneath your pool and into the ground and run those guys out. With this drought we're in, everything wants to get to that water. I'd try to kill the one's under the pool and then maybe set something up away from the pool with water in it to attract their friends away from the pool.

HTH.

Lori

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

DE or the pesticide derivative thereof - sprinkle it around the pool , it will cut their exoscletal structure, infection sets in.

Not to hijack, but does anyone know what else DE will kill? I have to continually kill grub worms. Not only are they trouble by them selves, the gophers love them. I would love to use DE for ants and grubs.

Thanks in advance,
    Brad
    27,000 IG Vinyl
    Aquarite SWG
    Still Learning Everyday

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

DE will help kill just about every exoskeletal organism, by exoskeletal, they mean the skeleton is on the Outside like an ant, earwig, potato bug, beetles. What it does is pierce or cut the skeleton, this allows dirt and other things to get into teh cut and infect it, in most cases causing death. They make insect powder that is 95% de and 5% some sort of toxin, this is supposed to ensure the cut gets infected by means of the toxin. It costs a LOT more than just DE, and supposedly, from people who have tried both ways, it really doesn't do much more, likely, the cut plus the dirt environment pretty much guarantee that infection sets in anyways. I had no problems getting rid of an anthill under my hose reel this summer wiuth straight DE.
    As for grubs, because they also have a "skeletal type skin" protecting them on the outside, DE will also be effective - actually, grub killer is the same as ant killer etc.

DE does to bugs what broken glass would do to you.

jenpen400 Guest

Ok now they have done it! while I was patching a hole they got my beer! DE Borax, and corn meal. BTW I would avoid using any petrolium based products in contact with the liner as they can damage it.

Thanks again

jennifer

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

Oh no, not the beer Now it's war
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

+ Reply to Thread