+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Okay I feel like a total moron asking this but...

scootchu is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst scootchu 0

Default Okay I feel like a total moron asking this but...

I have posted about my TA being high in a previous post and something about my testing puzzles me. I have said I cannot get my green reagent to turn red no matter how many drops of the ALK 2 reagent I use. Yesterday I used a small quantity of the sample from the pool, only one drop of ALK 1 reagent and after a few drops of ALK 2 got the desired red color change. I was more or less trying this just for sanity's sake. Could my TA be so high that the normal procedure would take a whole bottle of sulfuric acid to make the color change???? I am going to add acid tonight when I get home to bring the pH down and get everything under control. The water is clear and clean and the pH was 7.4 yesterday and the FC was 2. Not in dire straits as of yet. Was just curious as to if anyone else has had this problem with the TA test.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Default Re: Okay I feel like a total moron asking this but...

Before you do the desparate route and start chucking stuff in the pool I'd try diluting the sample with distilled and then testing if you suspect way high TA. You can also try testing well or tap water as a sanity check. My wells and stream always show a low (<50 ppm) level of TA. If you dilute with distilled water 1:1 then double the reading. 2:1 triple etc. You can also bring a sample to a pool store and let them test it. Just don't buy any chemicals.
    Al
    Last edited by Poconos; 08-25-2006 at 09:56 AM.

Thanks for that tip. I will try that when I get home from work today and prove myself sane... I hope.

Well I tested the tap water and got much the same results as the pool water so I got a new kit and tested the TA I had 170ppm and a pH of 7.6. I have added 4.5 cups of muriatic acid and now I am down to 160ppm TA and 7.2 pH.I have the fountain on and the slide water is also on. Everything is clear and clean so I am in the ballpark. Water temp is cold at 75, but considering the 56 degree well water that was used I can't complain.

+ Reply to Thread