+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Small Black Bettles in pool???

Default Small Black Bettles in pool???

Hi There, How do you get rid of these small black bettles in your pool. They have a strong grasp on the pebble Tec and grout line, and worst of all they swim. Is my pool chemistry out of wack? I did call me nearst pool supply (leslies) and they said there is nothing they sell to get rid of these bugs except to keep scooping them out and keep running my filter for eight hours a day. They said this would eliminate any eggs. It is gross having bugs in your pool.

Elsa.

Default Re: Small Black Beetles in pool???

Don't feel bad - I spent $13K on a screen enclosure - jumped in the pool last night with the lights off and came face to face with the largest beetle I have ever seen I swear the body was wider than a quarter - I jumped out fast - I was even too scared to skim it out (what if it crawled up on me ) - It was gone in the morning

May be try upping your chlorine and see if that deters them?
    Completed 8/21/06
    14,000 gallon 3'-6' concrete pool with Diamond Brite
    Spa with spillway
    250K BTU gas heater (for spa)
    SWCG - Aqua Rite
    Hayward Super II Pump - Cartridge filter

See pictures here http://www.philsimmons.com/family/ga...mages&keyword=

joliecharlie is offline ** No working email address ** Thread Analyst joliecharlie 0

Default Re: Small Black Bettles in pool???

We have had Japanese Beetles, centipedes and millipedes in our pool this year. Local Farm Supply store told us to sprinkle Sevin Dust around the perimeter of the pool at least once weekly. Hubby did that last night and I just checked, no dead bodies in the skimmer or on the floor. Sevin Dust is not a problem for our dogs and cat, and it was easy to apply.

Smile Re: Small Black Bettles in pool???

Hi Elsa,

Had the same problem myself in early summer in the first few weeks after filling the new pool. My chemistry was within all recommended ranges and I had the pump/filter on 12 hours a day.

A poster on this forum was writing about boatmen and backswimmers, so I asked him to describe the critters further, which he did; he was in OK and I'm in TX. Seems as if many areas of the country have these, as I believe another poster had them in IL.

Anyway, they're relatively harmless (a few do bite) and very resistant to chlorine (they laughed when I shocked the pool and invited more to the party). Best bet is to get a skimmer net and get a technique for flinging them up and out of the pool and then squashing them. Yup, if you don't, they'll crawl or fly back into the pool.

I had about 15-20 at one time. Managed to kill them all and have had only 1 or 2 since. Hopefully, it was just a seasonal thing.
    Sandy
    15,600 gallon, screened 15x30 IG plaster sport pool with 6x8 tanning area, Aquarite SWCG, Hayward cartridge filter, Polaris 280 cleaner

+ Reply to Thread