+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gizmobyte - conversion

Default Re: conversion

For all you now using chlorine, how often are you having to add chemicals or do other types of maintenance and amount of time its taking? From what I'm reading for the chlorine pools you have to add chlorine everyday, is that right? I'd consider switching but I really don't do much to maintain my pool now, maybe add chemicals once or twice a month. However I'm still tracking down a problem with bad tasting water and eye irritation so all is not good yet.

My baquacil pool has a plastic dome so it doesn't get dirty much and the sanitizer lasts a long time and the water stays clear. Its about a 9000 gallon pool and I have a 1.5hp pump and large sand filter and the water goes through a 40'x4' black plastic solar panel. There's probably alot of factors that go into how long baquacil lasts in a pool that could be related to how clean the water is kept, how often its used, how large the filter is and how much volume of water is pumped.

If I can resolve the bad taste & eye irritation I'll likley keep the baquacil as I probably use about $100 to $125 a season in chemicals with minimal upkeep (thanks to the plastic dome).

Patrick

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Gizmobyte - conversion

Hi Giz -
    Instead of having your post tacked into the middle of an existing thread, I moved your post into it's own thread. I think you'll have better luck getting answers that way. It is very hard for us to help with several pools all within one thread. Good luck!
    Last edited by Watermom; 08-20-2006 at 09:14 PM.

RavenNS is offline Established User Weir Watcher RavenNS Not to be trusted

Default Re: Gizmobyte - conversion

I have an in-line automatic feeder ( takes pucks), I fill it half way up, about every 9 to 14 days depending on environmental factors ( including usage).
    I would guess if my cya remained unchanged, probably about 2 cups every two days...?
    - sorry, I'm sure a regular BBB user could tell you.. ( I'm a newbie)

duraleigh Guest

Hi, Gizmo,
    However I'm still tracking down a problem with bad tasting water and eye irritation so all is not good yet.
    As you say, that certainly is not good. As you read through the forum, you will not find much positive about baquacil....for many reasons. Staying with it will be your call but I'm afraid you'll get little encouragement.

I imagine you'll be hearing from some of the "converted" soon. If not, read a few of their threads....they're pretty eye-opening.

Gizmo,

I think you're one of the few exceptions. I've just moved into a house this spring with a biguanide pool and this summer has cost me a fortune with shock almost every week as opposed to once or twice a month.

Water is slightly hazy, allthough, now I can see the drain after rinsing cartridges once or twice a day and dipping them in cleaning solution twice in the past month.

I'll be converting in the spring, but with about 6 weeks left in the season, it's really tempting to do it now.

Your dome is probably what's keeping you clean. I don't have a solar cover so I get lot's of bugs and debris.

I've read that bad taste can be from too much algecide.

I converted my pool about a month ago and have never been happier.
    I check my chlorine and ph levels every day and add bleach as needed (takes about 5 minutes). Once a week, I check all of my "stats", my pool has been very consistent since I converted over and I haven't had to add anything except chlorine. (I did add salt this weekend (see the threads in this forum) and it made the water feel sooooo good). I also put the pool cleaner in a couple of times a week.
    It doesn't appear that you have the problems with Baqua that I had. I was always have to add this or that, my water was never clear and I had to clean my cartridge filter weekly. In my case I spend much less time caring for the pool and a lot more time enjoying it.
    Mariner09, I encourage you to go ahead and convert now....you won't be sorry that you did it!

KatieD is offline ** No working email address ** KatieD 0

Quote Originally Posted by clayw1963
    Mariner09, I encourage you to go ahead and convert now....you won't be sorry that you did it!
    I second your encouragement! Converting is the best thing ever! It's scary during conversion, but so well worth the results.

Default Re: Bad taste - Red eyes

I heard from the local dealer also that too much algicide can cause a bad taster & red eyes. Need to get a sample tested.
    ---
    The poster who said they test their pool once a week and add chemicals then is the kind of info I was looking for. Once weekly isn't too bad.
    ---
    Must be alot of factors that come into play with how well baquacil works. Since my pool is covered and doesn't get too dirty it probably helps extend how long it works. After 3 years of using it I still don't have it down yet as to the perfect mix since the test strips don't test for the gallon bottle (shock) but I think I need less than I've been putting in it. Supposed to put about a gallon a month in (about a 9000' pool). I've still got enough chemicals to go another summer as it has only been needing about 3 gallons a season and 3 of the 1/2 gallon bottles. My pool also stays above 80 degrees most of the summer and sometimes gets into the 90's if I don't vent it (pool cover holds in alot of heat and water also goes through a 40' solar panel). Primarily don't like the taste & red eyes which is main reason for looking to switch but may be able to get this more under control. We just don't use it alot which is also probably why the chemicals last longer.

+ Reply to Thread