+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Does anyone have experience with the Dolphin in cold water

Default Does anyone have experience with the Dolphin in cold water

I just put my new Dolphin Dynamic in my 28K IG and so far (2 hours) I am impressed, My question relates to the Maytronics manual statement that the Dolphin will not work in water temps less than 54 degrees F. Our water temp gets into the high 30s and 40s during the winter here in Texas. Will I need another type of cleaner or will the Dolphin do the job at those temperatures?

Thanks to any and all who can advise me.

Default Re: Does anyone have experience with the Dolphin in cold water

Can't answer your question directly, but below 54 is pretty cold and you aren't going to swim then anyway. I imagine it would still clean the bottom of your pool, somewhat. I let my pool "go" a bit during the winter. Unless you are rolling in dough, I can't imagine buying much of a 2nd cleaner just for the offseason. You can use a $30 dollar leafeater to get the big stuff out every couple of weeks.

If you are not using it why not just have a cover on it???

hzz is offline Lifetime Member Thread Analyst hzz 1 star

Dolphin doesn't work well at all in those temps. Not sure why, but it doesn't move around well.

I have the Dolphin and the Aquabot turbo....the Aquabot has no trouble with low temps. I use it in the spring after opening to get all the worms and other crud out.

Hope this helps

Well - we leave in Texas so covering the pool is not generally considered or needed. Water temps get into the 40s and very occasionally the 30's where we are.

So without sounding too dumb I need to ask what is a leafeater and where can I get info on it?

Thanks to any and all who can help.

A leafeater is round, plastic pool cleaner with a net on top, that you stick on the same type of pool pole you use for sweeping. It has a connection for a garden hose. So, you just hook the garden hose to leafeater, the leafeater to the pole, and then guide it over bottom of pool. The water pressure pushes the leaves up into the net.

When the pool is realy dirty and not in use winter, I'll just half clean it occasionally. Usually, I start with a leaf rake. That gets the bulk of the big stuff out.

From, there, you can go to the leafeater, or started with leafeater. Basically, the advantage of the leaf rake is that it is easier to use. The leafeater is better at getting out smaller leaves and littler pieces of debis that tend to escape the rake.

The leafeater, as is, will not pick up dirt. The bag is a net. However, you can get a filter sock or use old pantyhose on the leafeater to pick up dirt.

You can get these things at any local pool store. When the pool is really dirty, I dont like using aquabots anyway. They bog down really quickly and you have to keep cleaning the filter. So, I think it is better just to get the big crap out with leaf rakes and leafeaters through winter. I don't try to keep my pool clean like it is in summer. Since I am in Louisiana and its mild, I don't cover pool, just turn filter down to a couple hours a day, make sure it runs during freezes, throw in shock occasionally, and rake leaves maybe every 2 weeks. After 2 months, I might do more thorough cleaning, then tighten up routine bit as get closer to pool season.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

All of the robotics are limited on the min. temp. I would NOT use a robotic below 50deg. You'll probably damage the belts and the brushes, as they will get hard in the cold.
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread