+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Add CYA?

Default Add CYA?

What is the best way to add granular CYA to the pool.
    I would rather not put it into the skimmer.

Thanks...

Default Re: Add CYA?

I pour it into an old pair of panty hose tie them off and then set it in the skimmer basket. let the filter run until it's gone.

Do not backwash for a week or so after since it will be stuck to the filter.
    14'x31' kidney 21K gal IG plaster pool; SWCG (Saline Generating System's SGS Breeze); Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE DE filter; Whisperflow 1 HP pump; 8 hours hrs; kit purchased from Ben; utility water; summer: none; winter: none; PF:5.7

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    I pour it into an old pair of panty hose tie them off and then set it in the skimmer basket. let the filter run until it's gone.

Do not backwash for a week or so after since it will be stuck to the filter.
    Philbo, using the pantyhose should negate the need to not backwash, no cya chunks imbedded in the filter. ... Or am I missing something? Thanx - Waste
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    Philbo, using the pantyhose should negate the need to not backwash, no cya chunks imbedded in the filter. ... Or am I missing something? Thanx - Waste
    My guess is that the CYA dissolves enough to get through the pantyhose, but is still in large enough particles to get caught by the filter. The pantyhose is certainly not as dense (fine meshed or packed) as the filter, but I just don't know if particles that are small enough to squeeze through the pantyhose get fully dissolved by the time they hit the filter.

It should be easy enough to resolve this issue by seeing if the CYA continues to rise after it has completely gone through the pantyhose. Of course the CYA test is not particularly accurate!

Richard

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Thumbs up Re: Add CYA?

Richard, thanks for the input. It gets me every time (that the way I do things isn't exactly what's been posted), in this case, I make a 'bomb' out of the cya I add in a kneehigh to the skimmer. When I make one, I can put ~4 lbs into one and still 'double it over', with 2 layers of nylon, I can't believe that there are any 'chunks' to be trapped in the skimmer. FWIW, I TRY to refrain from backwashing for a few days after I've added the cya.
    This discussion is sort of special to me as I have a customer who weekly tests low on cya (with a SWCG pool), despite the fact that I've added over 10 lbs this season (to a ~33,000 gal pool), (visible algae on the floor, no cl). ( I think her brother-in-law is removing my cya 'bombs' and tossing them into the woods).
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

PatL34 is offline Lifetime Member Widget Weaver PatL34 2 stars PatL34 2 stars

I created this method of adding CYA. It is very effective and takes care of your concerns.

Pat

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...=6645#post6645
    20,000 Gallon IG Diamond Brite pool, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite pump, Hayward Microclear DE3600 filter, Favco solar panels, Poolpilot DIG-220 with SC-48 cell.

+ SWCG OPERATION thread here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=1226
    + SWCG Running Costs post here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=316
    + Effective Stabilizer addition post here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?p=6645

+ Reply to Thread