Closed Thread

Thread: how to prevent concrete splash in pool

Default how to prevent concrete splash in pool

Hey another question, I am planning to pour concrete around the pool. What is the best way to avoid splahing concrete into the pool when pouring the concrete. I know the obvious Be Careful, but any other tips. Also how much over hang is the norm for the pool coping. I Am using pavers. Thanks trying to tie down these loose ends before they bite me.. Chris
    Blding 18x36 IG vinyl rectangle with custom inpool steps, 22,000 gallons. Chris In Chapel Hill, NC us7sail@earthlink.net

duraleigh Guest

Default Re: how to prevent concrete splash in pool

Hi, Chris,

I was told the total finished overhang was typically 3/4". That seemed a tad short to me so I made mine 1". I think whatever is aesthetically pleasing to you is the right answer.

I could think of no way to prevent the concrete from going into the pool. Any barrier I could think of would interfere with the forms or was w-a-a-ay too much trouble. Nice thing is it doesn't stick to anything. It'll fall harmlessly to the bottom where it's pretty easy to get out. Might even help your Calcium Hardness a little while it's in there!!

thanks for the input. I did not think it would hurt to get the splash in the pool but thought there might be some trick. I just wont worry about it. Finished all the grading tonight and tommorow will build the forms for concrete collar for a pour on fri. Hopfully pavers will go in sunday or next week sunday. Its looking like a yard now. Thanks again for the help. Chris
    Blding 18x36 IG vinyl rectangle with custom inpool steps, 22,000 gallons. Chris In Chapel Hill, NC us7sail@earthlink.net

We poured our own 6-inches of concrete around our pool (pavers wouldn't fit inside the aluminum coping).

I put a three-foot wide sheet of plastic around the edge of the pool with a couple of floaties underneath at the corners to hold it up. Our pool is a 36 x 44 L shaped, and there was no problem with the plastic staying afloat.

My husband didn't think the plastic would float or stay on the surface long enough to help (I think it took us three days to finish), but was REALLY happy afterwards -- it worked like a charm! Jo
    40,000 gal. DIY IG vinyl pool , Zodiac SWG, sand filter w/ Zeobrite, 3 Aqua Genie skimmers, 2 HP pump, pavers

MarkC is offline Registered+ Weir Watcher MarkC 1 star

If you have a solar cover or are planning on getting one then use that. Any splashed concrete will land on the floating cover.

Closed Thread