+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bleach as Chlorine

Default Bleach as Chlorine

I was talking to a guy at the pool store, and he agreed that bleach can be used as chlorine but that it has many other additives in it that you don't want in your pool. He also stated that it would bleach my liner over time where the chlorine I can purchase from them would not.

Are these true statements ?

Thanks

Default Re: Bleach as Chlorine

Quote Originally Posted by hancop

Thanks
    Partially true. Bleach that is labelled with a whitener, "rain-fresh scent", or the like, will give you some headaches. The plain everyday household bleach, no!

The only difference between the pool store chlorine and your local stores household bleach, is the strength. Pool Store Chlorine is usually 10-12%, where as store bleach is 5-6%

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

No, they are not true. Regular unscented household bleach has no addatives in it except some sodium (small amounts) If you pour the bleach in the stream of the return jets, you will never bleach your liner - you have more chance of bleaching the liner putting in calhypo. You can do a search on here and find out the advantages of using regular unscented bleach in the pool. Most of us on this forum have been using it for years with wonderful results.
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Many pool stores sell "Liquid Chlorine" in gallon jugs that is 6% Sodium Hypochlorite solution. This is IDENTICAL to unscented "Ultra" Bleach sold in supermarkets. The only difference is the package.

If your pool store guy was talking about basic bleach, (and he probably was) then he was passing on the usual drivel that they are told to fling at unsuspecting customers.
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by hancop
    I was talking to a guy at the pool store, and he agreed that bleach can be used as chlorine but that it has many other additives in it that you don't want in your pool. He also stated that it would bleach my liner over time where the chlorine I can purchase from them would not.

Thanks

Bleach IS Chlorine.

They are both sodium Hypochlorite. Pool Chlorine is usually 10% or 12% while bleach is 6%. Either can "bleach" your liner if they aren't used correctly. But bleach is the milder of the two, by quite a bit.

take care,
    dan

Kind of funny that your pool guy says that grocery store bleach, and the store's wouldn't since pool stores usually sell a strong liquid chlorine.

As stated, there is 5.25% to 6% sodium hypochloride in what is labelled as "bleach" and usually 10% in the pool stores "liquid chlorine". If anything, the pool store produce has the greater risk of bleaching. If you add it slowly in the deep end in front of an outlet, there shouldn't be any problem.

I tend to put some in the pool, then put the jug under the water and top it up with water so it is more diluted.

Quote Originally Posted by Spensar
    I tend to put some in the pool, then put the jug under the water and top it up with water so it is more diluted.
    Then how do you know how much actual bleach/chlorine you are adding to the pool??
    ~Grace

Avid reader of this forum
    but alas, no pool... yet!

Quote Originally Posted by GraceByDesign
    Then how do you know how much actual bleach/chlorine you are adding to the pool??

Didn't mean to be confusing. It's when I'm adding a full bottle of bleach.

ok, yes, my q was confusing also...

after you put "some" bleach into the pool, and top it off with water, how do you know what the concentration of the chlorine in the bottle is? I mean, if you put 1qt of water into the 3qt jug (let's say of 6%) that is significantly stronger than if you put 1.5qt water into the samg jug (4% vs 3%) So the next time you use that watered down jug, how do you know how much chlorine you are really adding?

OHHH, I just read it all again to see if I was missing something. . . you are using the entire jug, but you are just diluting it so you can pour with less fear of damaging liner DUH!
    ~Grace

Avid reader of this forum
    but alas, no pool... yet!

tagprod is offline ** No working email address ** tagprod 0

Quote Originally Posted by GraceByDesign
    ok, yes, my q was confusing also...

after you put "some" bleach into the pool, and top it off with water, how do you know what the concentration of the chlorine in the bottle is? I mean, if you put 1qt of water into the 3qt jug (let's say of 6%) that is significantly stronger than if you put 1.5qt water into the samg jug (4% vs 3%) So the next time you use that watered down jug, how do you know how much chlorine you are really adding?

OHHH, I just read it all again to see if I was missing something. . . you are using the entire jug, but you are just diluting it so you can pour with less fear of damaging liner DUH!
    I think I saw a lightbulb turn on! I have one or two moments like that a day.

+ Reply to Thread