+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Calling all DIY'ers

Default Calling all DIY'ers

Given the innovativeness of some of the people on this forum, I'm surprised that I've not seen the subject of a DIY sand pool filter suggested.

If the following are true:
    A. Sand filters are not very complex objects
    B. Working pressures are not terribly high
    C. With sand filters bigger IS better
    D. Large capacity name brand filters are ridiculously expensive considering
    they are largely just ABS thermoplastic or fiberglass containers
    E. Various parts such as multi-valves and diffusers are readily available off
    the shelf if needed
    F. You're the type of person who likes to accomplish a task for maybe half or
    less of the cost of buying retail
    G. You used to read or have ever even heard of Mother Earth News

How about coming up with a plan for a large capacity, inexpensive DIY sand filter?

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Default Re: Calling all DIY'ers

-- You still need a large housing with at least a burst pressure greater than the blocked pump pressure. If a redneck...a 55 gallon drum? But then you need something thwat chlorine won't attack.

-- Still need the pipe penetrations in this housing, or, a way to mount a valve.

-- Laterals are nothing more than a bunch of small diameter PVC pipes with thin slits cut in them. Still a dog to make....I've done it.

-- Your time has a $$ amount associated with it and so do the parts you'll need.

Is it really worth the effort to maybe save some $$ ?

Forget it...support the U.S. economy and business.

Just my opinion.
    Al

Won't disagree with your comments except to say that I'm retired so my time is either worth a lot or nothing!

Well you could construct a gravity fed sand filter. This is a really old system that consisted a big concrete tank filed with sand. usually these are below the pool water level (underground) and the skimmer water just flows into the tank via gravity. It then trickles down through the sand and at the bottom there are lateral pipes to pick up the water and a pump returns it to the pool.
    I have a really old pool (60ys+) that used to have this kind of system. There were so many pipes and valves you would have had to have a engineering degree to operate it! Its no longer functional but the underground room under the deck made a great location for my modern equipment.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Larry,
    I'm retired too and agree with the 'time worth nothing' comment. However, I'd rather spend my time doing unique things. One thing I puzzle about is how I ever found time to work.
    Al

+ Reply to Thread