+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Using other sources for pool equipment

Default Using other sources for pool equipment

I saw yesterday at Home Depot Irritrol brand 100 series 2" actuator valves for irrigation systems. They were in some kind of clearance, i.e. being sold at a bit more reasonable price than the HD list price. Anyway, even at the list price the irrigation stuff seems to be much cheaper than pool equipment and this fact led to other thoughts. With those valves and irrigation control units (including wireless remotes) one could build pretty nice pool control system at a fraction of the cost of pool specific equipment. Is there some immediate show stopper for this idea? Is there bad karma if the pool control system brand is Rain Bird?

Well, another topic would be to discuss the ideas I got when, eh, helping my son to play with his Lego Mindstorms system. For couple of hundreds of dollars you can get a system that is very nicely programmable, has interfaces to all kind of sensors and can control various outputs.

But I'd like to hear your opinions or experience regarding the irrigation valves and control units first.

Default Re: Using other sources for pool equipment

I was looking at the rainbird control boxes at lowes the other day. I don't see why they wouldn't work, and at $15 for the cheapest I'm going to try it. If it dosen't work I'll take it back. First though, I got to find this suction side leak. I have a hole in my backyard 5x4. I'm getting ready to make a huge mess and just replace it. I can't find the exact point of the leak.
    27K IG Gunite
    1.5 hp pentair whisperflo
    Hayward Micron DE filter

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Using other sources for pool equipment

I regularly get Schedule 40 PVC fittings and ball valves at Home Depot.
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread