+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Foam Bottom

Default Foam Bottom

I was considering using Foam as opposed to a sand bottom in the pool I am going to install. When I inquired at the lumber yard they said the dense Blue foam is only sold in 2' widths. Is this correct ? It would require a lot of taping.
    What tape is best duct tape or the red insulation tape? Also the soil here is very sandy. Would tamping the sand down and placing the foam on be sufficient. Thanks in advance, Ltvanloon.

Default Re: Foam Bottom

Quote Originally Posted by Ltvanloon
    I was considering using Foam as opposed to a sand bottom in the pool I am going to install. When I inquired at the lumber yard they said the dense Blue foam is only sold in 2' widths. Is this correct ? It would require a lot of taping.
    What tape is best duct tape or the red insulation tape? Also the soil here is very sandy. Would tamping the sand down and placing the foam on be sufficient. Thanks in advance, Ltvanloon.
    Not so sure you want to do that, I can see one of two things happening:

1. The weight of the water will crush it flat and it becomes as good as having nothing there.

2. It doesen't crush flat but you end up with all kinds of foot dents in it from the swimmers. When you in the store push your thimb into a sheet, it does not come back up.

But I believe yes, 2'X4' is the size it comes in.

Wayne

You can get it in 4x8 sheets too, probably just not there, look around I am sure that you could find it. I used the happy bottom stuff, it is more forgivable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltvanloon

Lets do some math...

20,000 gallons of water weighs 166,000 pounds

Lets say you have a oval pool thats 18' x 34', then you would have something like 612 square feet or 88,128 square inches of pool area....

Still with me?

So, 166,000 pounds of water distributed over 88,128 square inches = something like 3.17 pounds per square inch...

Now, the 1 inch thick PINK styrofoam from owens corning has a compressive strength of 25 pounds per sqaure inch...

I don't think the water will crush it.

From the Getgo

So correct GetGo, I have used foam on a lot of pools, never a problem. No footprints either. I use 4 x 8 sheets and a lot of duck tape.

Dennis
    AG pool installer
    Arizona

RavenNS is offline Established User Weir Watcher RavenNS Not to be trusted

SWEET... Science Rules !!!

haze_1956 is offline ** No working email address ** Thread Analyst haze_1956 0

I see 4x8 foot sheets at most Home Depot's, and you can usually find it at vinyl siding, supply houses.

I had calculated the water at about 1.8psi at about 4' deep so I wasn't concerned about the water crushing it, more concerded about kids jumping in off deck and landing on their heels hard. Not sure if that would dent it.
    It looks like the foamular product from Owens Corning is what I'm looking for. I'll call around tomorrow. Thanks for your input. Ltvanloon.

I have a question with the foam base. Does it have to be the blue or pink foam or is that they better option?
    I went to the local building supply store and they said that you can use the white plastispan normal Styrofoam stuff. I'm trying to get the most economical pool base, possible and the platispan can be bought at home depot for 12 dollars for 1"x4'x8' sheets that have plastic on both side to help keep it from breaking
    My pool install directions say you can use Styrofoam but don't say exactly what kind.
    http://www.pioneerfamilypools.ca/man...ance-Round.pdf

Their is no way I can get large quantities of sand in my back yard either, if I use sand only it will need to be carried in by the bag which could get expensive and tiring. We also seem to have a fair bit of small gravel rocks in out back yard that the more we level the more we find that I don't think I can get out. Has anyone tried sand and the laminated floor under pad foam stuff to help the bottom be smooth??

The pool is an AG 15' round and we started the leveling process today. It will probably be a few more days before we get it level.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Lauralai; 05-28-2008 at 01:41 AM.

Iv been trying to find Owens Corrning Foamular with no luck. I even called them and they refused to give out a distributer.

+ Reply to Thread