+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Balancing chem after sequasol

Question Balancing chem after sequasol

Hi everyone! I have been new this summer to BBB and it has been wonderful - crystal clear water all season!!! After I began the system I realized that some brown staining that I had at the bottom of the pool was metal stains and sure enough - my fill water had iron in it. I decided I would take care of those stains when I close this year. Anyway, last week, I needed to add fill water. I dropped the pH to 7.2. Added sequasol to the pool first, more than required on the bottle(per past posts I read by MBar) and put the hose in the skimmer to fill.
    My problem seems to be that for the first time all season, I have some combined chlorine and need to shock. I'm a little concerned that I will end up dropping more metal stains onto my plaster. (21,000 gallon gunnite) If I bump my chlorine to 15.
    #'s TC 9, FC 8.5, CH 250, TA 100, CYA 50
    Any suggestions on how I should proceed in order to prevent this???
    Can I add the chlorine to the skimmer and have the same effect as the technique of adding the fill water at the skimmer?
    Thanks, in advance, to all.

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

Default Re: Balancing chem after sequasol

I would take the chlorine up slowly - use regular bleach, bring the chlorine up 1 to 2 ppms at a time. You may not have to go all the way to shock, because you may be getting a cc reading from the sequasol. You can also put a trichlor puck in the skimmer basket if you have a sand or DE filter. DO NOT do it if you have a cartridge filter. Make sure your ph is not higher than 7.2. I would check the chlorine again too, a cc of .5 is not much and it may have been from the sequasol, and may be gone already. Let us know how it goes.
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

mbar,
    Why would the sequasol cause me to have combined chlorine?

Marie, I just tested my water (7:00pm)....I know I shouldn't be - but I am shocked.....You called it: TC 5.5, FC 5.5 - no combined chlorine!!!
    Still, could you tell me what the relationship is between the sequasol and chlorine? Thank you.

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

I think the sequasol shows up as combined chlorine when there is extra in the water and it doesn't have any metals to bind with. I am really not sure, but the water sometimes gets cloudy after a big dose of it, and that is what I think is happening. The clorine eventually gets rid of it.
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

+ Reply to Thread