+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Breakpoint Chlorination

RavenNS is offline Established User Weir Watcher RavenNS Not to be trusted

Question Re: Breakpoint Chlorination

side bar here:
    since you're using metric & imperial for these calculations..
    is this imperial gallons or US gallons?

( I always wonder which it is that you guys are actually using... it's so confusing...lol)
    Last edited by RavenNS; 08-11-2006 at 06:24 PM.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Default Re: Breakpoint Chlorination

Even though beachcals says metric or imperial Michael stated in one of his posts that it is US gallons. He said he will fix that in the next version.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Okay great,
    I was specifically refering to the calculations on the previous page of this thread...
    ( Mls to Gallons & such)

- so when people here say, " my pool is Blah Blah gallons", they mean US Gallons (?) & that is the standard measurement for you USAers?

good to know; Us Canadians get a wee bit confused on the whole gallons issue

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

another good reason why we should have all gone metric years ago!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Thumbs up Re: Breakpoint Chlorination

I agree 100%
    I can't fathom why the USA wants to keep up this old system,
    it makes calculations quite difficult, particularly when comparing to international testings

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

I was using and assuming U.S. gallons in my calculations. In my spreadsheet I have a switch for metric so instead of U.S. gallons its liters. However, should I also have something for Imperial Gallons? Is that commonly used for pool volumes in the British (shrunken) Empire?

My understanding is that if you are part of the " commonwealth" then you use Metric
    I was a travel agent for a bit ( one of the many things I've done...lol), & I can't think of anybody else ( off hand) that uses imperial over metric ( other than the USA)...

I believe the scientific community has chosen Metric. period. (lol)

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

Actually, when you say no one else uses Imperial over metric except the USA, I think you may not realize that there are THREE systems at work here. The metric system, the Imperial system, and the U.S. system. In the Imperial system, a gallon is 4.54609 liters both for liquid and dry quantities. In the U.S. system, a liquid gallon is 3.785411784 liters while a dry volume measure "equivalent" is called a bushel and is 35.23907016688 liters. What makes the U.S. system even more confusing is that there are liquid quarts which are each 0.946352946 liters AND there are dry quarts that are 1.101220942715 liters (and yes, that implies that there are 4 liquid quarts in a gallon but 32 dry quarts in a bushel.

Of course, there is further insanity with regard to lengths and weights and a decent summary of all of this is found at "this is insane".

We tried to go metric in the U.S. way back when, but too many people's brains hurt too much and being a democracy, well, you get the idea. Politicians would rather get re-elected than to do the right thing.

Richard

you're right of course... i should have said, "no one uses the US imperial system but the USA"...

but do you know of any country that actually uses the old imperial system anymore?
    or any other country that uses US imperial?

Hmm, does Puerto Rico use it?... what about the virgin islands ( both british & US...two different systems or all metric)?

I can't think of anyone else that uses imperial systemS ...

maybe it's time to start a converting campaign....
    If people could take a moment to look at metric, they might find the math a little easier.
    ( what if you just stopped teaching US imperial in school?..lol, a new generation could readily accept it...Wake-up USAers & join in with world unity...lol)

- thank goodness this is already in the china shop or I'd be banned...lol

ps- I think there is nothing wrong with USAers btw, & I'm not trying to start any political discussions....

( Please note that I said " USAers" because I personally find the term " American" as offensive,
    seeing that we are ALL Americans... Canada, USA, & Mexico... not to mention South American & central American countries too...lol)
    Last edited by RavenNS; 08-11-2006 at 10:06 PM.

I know of no country using the (UK) Imperial system anymore. And I took no offense in anything you said. Heck, I complain about our country as much as the next guy; I'm just happy I'm able to complain about it without getting locked up (yet)!

+ Reply to Thread