+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need advice, Buying a used Above Ground Pool?

Question Need advice, Buying a used Above Ground Pool?

A local neighbor is selling (for a great price) their AG pool with deck and fence.

Looking for thoughts and opinions about moving and rebuilding a used pool (pool is 9 years old)

We would plan to hire a company who disassembles, moves and rebuilds AG pool but not sure if this is going to be more trouble in the end (weak wall, leaks ect)

Advice? Thanks

RavenNS is offline Established User Weir Watcher RavenNS Not to be trusted

Default Re: Need advice, Buying a used Above Ground Pool?

I have "heard" that moving a AG pool was a bad thing;
    However, I know someone who bought a used one two summers ago. It was probably about 10 years old.
    The deal was that they had to disassemble it & truck it out themselves.
    The did all the work themselves & had no manuals to refer to.
    They decided to replace the liner this summer ( although I think the old liner was still okay) & have had no issues with the pool construction to date.
    Hope that helps

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

Well, from what I have seen on the forum, some are success stories, some are horror stories. it all depends on:
    1. Who does the work
    2. The condition of the parts

Always expect to incur some extra costs, a new liner for sure, then probably some plastic parts that got UV dried and crack or break during reinstall, possibly some filter parts since laterals may break during the move of the equipment, possibly a new ladder, and the list goes on.

I would do a thorough inspection of the pool before comitting. Look at the bottom rails - very important - the first component to rust through.

Check the wall for corrosion, especially at the return and skimmer, right down to the floor, if small leaks occur around the gaskets, these areas get eaten.

Check how tight or loose the top rail and verticals are, loose equipment is a sign of stripped screw holes which means you'll have to replace the screws with oversized ones.

jenpen400 Guest

We bought a 10 year old pool and it swims great. With the money we saved we bought a good filter and pump and I now own the "ulgy old pool" with the pretty water. If you post some pictures and equipment spec's the folks here can help you make a more educated choice. That being said some things can't be seen until you take the pool apart so good luck and keep us posted!

jennifer

I did this last summer and here is my advice... for one, if you are getting a good deal, do it!
    Before it comes down, take pictures of EVERYTHING, every connection, every piece, every upright, etc... ( unless you are paying someone to disassemble and reinstall) pay very close attention to how everything goes together. We took ours down at the old place so we knew how it went back up. We cleared, leveled our spot and put our stones in( must go under each upright,be level and level with one on each side, this takes alot of time but you will be glad you took the time) Then we went and took it down, brought it to our property and laid everything out, then the fun began. Make sure you get one of the installers here to give to step by step instructions. You can do it, we did and I think we enjoy it so much more because we did!
    If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me!!
    18' round AG Money Pit( till I found this place!)

I was given a 16x30 above ground pool in april, the pool was already taken down and in a bunch of parts! I began searching the internet and found it is a Muskin Fairmont. Then I found Pool Solutions.. This place is the greatest! If you have any questions related to the reinstall, Dennis or Matt along with numerious others have the answers. As with mine, I sanded and painted all the parts, reassembeled the pool and bought a new liner. If you didn't know it you would think it was new one but at a savings of about $5000. Don't expect to find new replacement parts, but if your handy or know someone who is, you can fabricate new replacement parts. I'd do it again!

Todd
    15'X30' Muskin Fairmont, 1hp pump w/Hayward Filter

Hi, You have been given some great advice. Like Matt said, if rust is not an issue you should be good to go. As Todd said, we are here to help should you need it.

Here is a good thread about a used pool taken down, moved and reistalled.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=3164

Best of luck, Dennis
    AG pool installer
    Arizona

scootchu is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst scootchu 0

I received a used pool for free in the classifieds. We have had the pool, a 27' round Swim N Play extruded aluminium, for about 7-8 years. Swim N Play said they stopped making the model we have about 10 years ago, so the pool is old. Fortunately they still make replacement parts.

The first thing I would do is find the make and model of the pool and find out any info that you can about it. The company's website may have info in the form of installation manuals, packing sheets and available replacement parts.
    If you cannot find the info you need because it's an off brand or the company no longer exists, step away.

I have found everything I need on the internet website of Swim N Play and they return emails promptly. It's not hard to dissassemble a pool, nor to put it back together, but a set of instructions for your model will go a long way to alleviate headaches. Perhaps you neighbors held on to their paperwork and if it was purchased locally may have contact info for the local dealer for that brand of pool.

+ Reply to Thread