+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pump Problems!

Default Pump Problems!

Long time lurker, First time poster. I just changed the shaft seal on my 1 hp pentair dyanmo pump and everything ran great.....for about 30 minutes. Then, the pump just shut off. It was extremely hot to the touch and I haven't been able to get it to crank on since. I didn't mess at all with the wiring and was curious if anyone might have some insight???? Great time for this to happen too...less than a month of pool time left in the season.

I'm also a little worried I might have put one part of the seal in backwards.....seems like there was still a little water coming out around the shaft of the motor.

I'd hate to shell out the $200 for a new pump now, especially after the time and money I've spent (only $30 for the new seal and impeller) but it might be easier that way. ANY suggestions would be great!

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

Default Re: Pump Problems!

have you checked your circuit to see if the breaker blew - could have shorted due to water getting inside the motor.
    Other than that, you'll probably have to do a teardown again to see what's up

The breaker did blow, but I reset it and waited until the motor had completely cooled down and it is still not running......no noise at all. If I put part of the seal in backwards, would that have caused the motor to overheat and seize up?

I doubt that would have caused it, but I could be wrong, if it spun up fine at first, and didn't bind and hum, I would have to say it wasn't teh seal since it would take a lot more binding and friction to break the motor.
    Almost sounds like you may have lost some brushes and it's no longer energizing the windings.
    I'm thinking for what it's worth to open it up again and inspect it before buying a new one.

I plan on breaking it open again tonight....I knew I would have to, but obviously didn't want to. It shouldn't be as hard this time since I know how it goes back together.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

There are no brushes on these motors. Brushes are used on DC or AC/DC motors like those for vacuum cleaners, shop vacs, blenders, electric drills, etc. The pump motor does however have a centrifugal switch for the starting winding. Switch opens when up to speed. Since this motor isn't making any noise or hum at all, sounds like a completely open circuit. Could be the thermal breaker opened and won't close again or a wire blew open somewhere. When you have the motor off, try running it without the pump stuff attached. See if it makes any noise at all. You can also do a continuity check of the breaker, windings, switch, if you have an ohm meter. Wish I could offer more advice.
    Al

I went ahead and bought a new one because I know this one is at least 5 years old. Probably closer to 8 when looking at some of the paperwork left by the previous owners of the house. It does make a humming noise after removing it from the piping, but it doesn't spin the shaft at all. I'd like to use convert it to a pump to remove water from my pool.....I have everything I need, except for the damn thing to run. Any advice??????

Impeller Stuck? bearings ceased?

+ Reply to Thread