+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newly replastered pool, need chemical help

abessellieu is offline ** No working email address ** abessellieu 0

Default Newly replastered pool, need chemical help

We just filled our newly replastered pool (35,000 gallons) on Sunday and I have been trying to adjust the chemicals ever since. I am a newbie using the BBB method and I think I am getting close in my numbers, but have a few questions/problems.
    Most recent test (with Wal Mart kit, am ordering Bens' kit today)
    Cl 5
    CYA < 30
    pH 7.0
    Alk 100
    Ca 290
    Cl - the chlorine got out of whack because I accidently added double the amount of Chlorox and used the wrong % (5.25 instead of 6) in the Bleach Calculator. Won't do that again. Do I just wait for it to go down? It is very sunny here right now and I guess it will slowly disappate, right? Or is there something else to do?
    CYA - It was zero on Monday when the water was trucked in and I added 25 lbs of CYA. I figured I could always add more, but understood from other threads that it is a pain to remove. So it seems I need to add more, but I wonder if the levels continue to rise. Should I wait to add more, or can I do it now?
    pH & Alk - the pH is a little low, but the Alk seems just about right. If I add Baking Soda to bring the pH up, won't I mess up the Alk levels? Is there something else I can do? Or will it naturally rise because of the curing process. It does seem to creep up.
    Ca - this level has ranged from 190 to 300, and is 290 now. I understand this is important to monitor with new plaster. Should I be using 300 as a target? The kid (truly didn't look over 16) at Leslie's lectured me ('danger,danger - alien approaching' type thing) on letting my calcium levels get over 400, so I got worried, but I didn't have a lot of confidence in him. What can I expect here while the plaster cures, and what should my target be?
    And final question - at what point is it safe/comfortable to swim?
    Thanks to everyone in advance for all their patience with us newcomers...

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

Default Re: Newly replastered pool, need chemical help

I think all of your numbers are fine except the ph. I would add Borax - it will raise your ph without doing much to the alkalinity. I would only shoot for 7.3-7.5 for now. You may get a rise in ph from the naturally curing plaster. I wouldn't add any calcium. You are at the right level - Keep testing your cya, because it will probably go up. Sometimes it takes a week or two for it to all show up. You are fine with your chlorine. Don't let it get too low, because you don't want it to go to 0 ever. I would keep it around 3. So you have room for it to drop a little. It is fine to swim now!! Enjoy your pool!
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

+ Reply to Thread