+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Algae problem or fliter problem ?

ROBIN13 is offline ** No working email address ** ROBIN13 0

Default Algae problem or fliter problem ?

I have a 24' above ground round pool w/ a sand filter. It's green. If I don't run the pump overnight everything settles & I can see the bottom of the pool. I've been vacuuming every day but it seems to be coming back in the return. Someone suggested a nylon over the return. This didn't seem to help. If I run the pump the entire pool quickly turns green & I can't see down more than 6". My Ph is 7.8. TA is 80. My free chlorine is now 5 after shocking last night but was much lower (between .5 & 1). Does this seem to be a filter problem (my sand was changed about 2-3 weeks ago) or an algae problem. Thanks.

duraleigh Guest

Default Re: Algae problem or fliter problem ?

Definitely algae. Read the sticky's at the top of the forum for more help on clearing your pool with chlorine...lot's of it.

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

Once you've killed the Algae, try adding a cup of DE to teh skimmer and vacuuming after it settles in the filter, you'll get your pool clean much faster.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

This is a problem with not keeping enough chlorine in the pool--algae. You didn't post a CYA level, but a Cl level of 5 isn't enough of a shock regardless. Post a current CYA level and we should be able to help you get it cleared up.

Janet

I added bleach last night & my chlorine is up to 10+ (that's as high as my test kit reads). My test strip today shows a Ph of 7.8 and a TA of 80. I just took a water sample to the pool store. They said my Ph is 8.0. My TA is down to 30. Still not sure what my CYA is. The pool store won't let you see the paper unless you buy their products. (not my regular pool store, it was convient). The pool is still green. What next ?

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Go to WalMart, buy the $15 5-way drop-based kit, and test your water yourself---and I DANG sure wouldn't buy anything else from the pool store, just on principle!!

Run your own drop-based tests, adn we'll help you from there--you have to know a CYA level in order to know how high to shock to clear up the pool. Until then, you're just wasting time and money.

Janet

My pool is looking better. I let it settle Friday night & vac'ed to waste Sat. morning. I needed to get a load of water since we are on a well. It was a light green & I could see the bottom. I let it settle Sat. night & vac'ed again Sunday morning. The water looks great now. Thanks to everyone.

+ Reply to Thread