+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: DIY woes!

Default Re: DIY woes!

yet another update!!

The power company came out and moved the line at no charge!!
    The pool-krete bottom is almost done. all that is left is the shallow end.!!
    The fence is coming along at a snails pace, funny thing about drinking and putting a fence up. you do more drinking then building

Thanks (sjkader) for a good morning coffee laugh. It's a nice change from all the gloom and doom on the internet news sites. You ought to write a blog or book? as you seem to be a natural comic wit.

Of course, it won't be as funny if there's no more emergency room visits....lol .... JUST KIDDING!

STS

Update!
    Still working on the Fence. Its coming along. Not fast enough but is coming along. I dont know what the town is going to do once we get that fence up. Right now we probably have 75 to a hundred cars go by in a day to see whats going on. Used to be on a good day it would be 10 to 20 cars.
    Small towns! got to love them. I'm really tempted to put bleachers up and charge 5 dollars per person. Pay for this project real quick I started plumbing all my lines. Should finish that tonight. then we will be ready to start putting the liner in. That will be intresting

haze_1956 is offline ** No working email address ** Thread Analyst haze_1956 0

Quote Originally Posted by sjkader
    Update!
    I'm really tempted to put bleachers up and charge 5 dollars per person.

If you build it, they WILL come !!

Update with a question!

Ok this weekend we started to install the liner. Was a piece of cake. Started our fill. We are filling from two garden hoses. City wont let us use a hydrant. (fire plug) Here is my problem. My electrician called (after we started the fill and said he will not be able to come out till friday maybe beginning of next week. I did tell him i at least need the pump running. He said he would stop by tue night and run a temp drop to get the pump running. Ok great, but i cant cut the light out till he is done wiring it. ok so how do i open my returns up? the directions i have for my liner install says not to cut out the returns till the water is right below them. well if i wait to do that then my light will be under water.

The problem is how do i get circulation? should i just have the plumber run a temp return line out of something like sump hose over the side of the pool?

I dont want to fill past the light so i can open the returns just to drop the water back down so i can cut the light out. water runs me around 150 per every 3000 gallons. That is an option i want to avoid.

Also the water from the hoses has been slight green and murky from the get go. Im assuming that i had some algea in my hose already but not sure. What do you pool gods recommend i do to treat the water till i can get some circulation going and can treat the water right?

and on a final note. wet liner makes a dang good slip and slide

Steve

ps the pool is an 18 X 36 IG. 9 foot deep end. 3.4 shallow

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

If you have a vacuum head and hose, you can hook it up to the skimmer and have the water circulate through the vacuum head to the filter until you can get the water up to the skimmer. Just make sure the vacuum head does not come out of the water and get air.
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

Getting water to the filter is no problem. I can use the main drains. The problem is returning the water back to the pool.
    But thank you for your response.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Talking Re: DIY woes!

sjk, welcome to the forum, this thread's a hoot! (I love the comment on drinking and putting up the fence, I'm the same way with sheetrock )
    What you should be able to do is fill the pool to just under 1/2 way up the light, install the faceplate and cut it out so that the electrician can get to what he needs to. At this point, the water should be high enough to do the returns (but not if they are too close to the corners - if the corners are 'loose' ie, liner not tight on them, and the return is within ~5', you could develop a huge wrinkle by putting the faceplate on without the water being all the way up) [there is a way to do it but you'd need 2 people]
    As for the green water, put some bleach in there, circulation is a good thing but clean water is more important - just add it to the stream from the hose, it'll mix up enough.
    If you think a wet liner is slippery, try it with a nice coating of algae
    Again welcome to the forum, thanks for the HA-HAs, if I can be of any help, please don't hesitate to ask! - Waste
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Until you open the return lines can you jury rig the waste line from the filter to dump it over the edge of the pool? Would at least get circulation.
    Al

needless to say the returns are by the corners. I have been adding bleach but have not done a reading yet. the water has not hit the break point and i have no desire to try to reach over it and chance sliding in. that stuff is dang cold. I dont think the boys would apprecite the rush of cold water. ( the guys will understand what i mean)

+ Reply to Thread