+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Pool... Ozone or Salt?

Default New Pool... Ozone or Salt?

OK OK, everyone I talk to in person says the ozone system is the way to go. I've seen two pools running on it and they both say it's the best thing since sliced bread. However, I read bad things on the web. What are your opinions on the ozone systems? I'm in Florida and I'm looking or the least amount of upkeep possible. I have a big 200 gallon salt water tank that takes up most of my "water upkeep" time... ha!
    I hear great things about salt pools too but I'm torn.

The pool builder swears by it!

Default Re: New Pool... Ozone or Salt?

One thing to note; ozone generators still require a chlorine residual. Whether this is introduced by a salt chlorine generator, adding bleach, tabs or cal hypo is really up to you (and your environmental conditions - ie, high calcium areas like Arizona, will discourage cal hypo, years of tabs will introduce high cyanuric acid which will discourage tablets).
    The combination of ozone and salt is compatible and will work fine.
    Sean Assam
    Commercial Product Sales Manager - AquaCal AutoPilot Inc. Mobile: 954-325-3859
    e-mail: sean@teamhorner.com --- www.autopilot.com - www.aquacal.com

Well I guess I'm confused because everywhere I read they say that chlorine neutralizes the ozone action? Are you saying that I also need a salt system or just add salt without the computerized system?
    I live in Florida, are there any recomendations as to what kind of chlorine I add for that region?
    Thanks for all you help!

By the way, I'm also going to buy a H155R for my new pool. I spoke with one of the manufacture reps (Jim McKechney) and discussed the binnifits of the "R" model and how well they thaw a frozen heater. Not sure if I'll run into that or not in Jacksonville but it seemed like a good idea.
    Last edited by deeze; 08-07-2006 at 11:46 PM.

cwstnsko is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst cwstnsko 0

I have both a SWCG and a UV based Lowzone (ozone) system. I wouldn't own a pool without the SWCG, but the ozone system, I am more or less indifferent about. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably have spent the ozone money on something else. I'm sure there are great ozone systems out there, but you don't get them for a few hundred dollars.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by deeze
    OK OK, everyone I talk to in person says the ozone system is the way to go. I've seen two pools running on it and they both say it's the best thing since sliced bread. However, I read bad things on the web. What are your opinions on the ozone systems? I'm in Florida and I'm looking or the least amount of upkeep possible. I have a big 200 gallon salt water tank that takes up most of my "water upkeep" time... ha!
    I hear great things about salt pools too but I'm torn.

The pool builder swears by it!
    A salt water reef tank and a pool with a salt water chlorine genterator are apples and oranges!
    I have kept salt water tanks for about 30 years now and they can be a lot of work. Using electrolysis to generate chlorine in a swimming pool (by adding salt to the pool and having a SWG installed) makes pool maintenance very easy. I have one on my pool. Ozone does destroy chlorine and chlorine destroys ozone. Ozone works better with bromine since it will reactivate the bromine bank in the water.
    Just adding salt to your pool without the SWG will just give you salty water (but even that has some advantatges!)
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Tredge is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst Tredge 0

Dont waste your money on the Ozone.

http://www.poolsolutions.com/tips/tip48.html

I have an Ozone/SWG and I can tell you that the Ozone doesnt do squat. A good SWG is all you need. Bigger is better.
    Some people have hobbies.....I have a pool.

Wink Re: New Pool... Ozone or Salt?

I have a Delzone TrioPure 50 in a 40K pool and so far I am happy with the water quality. The Water is CRYSTAL clear compared to almost every other pool I look at. This is a new pool, 4 months old, but so far I am happy with the system. The trio pure does have a SWG also for the residual chlorine sanitation. One thing I like is how clean the 2"glass waterline tiles are. Some of my neighbors have oil and gunk on their waterline tiles that I do not get. Only delta I can see is Ozone. Ozone has benefits that are often overlooked. One is the ability to kill organisms that Chlorine can not kill. Never should need to shock the pool either.

Do your homework on Ozone (Corona Discharge) is not the same league as the typical bulb ozone systems. I know the website is pretty negative about Ozone, which for the average bear may be accurate. I am told you should not confuse Corona discharge units to the low end units. Also the cell replacement cost for the SWG in the Trio is about 400.00 which is a fair price. I was not real impressed with the Trio Pure system when I started up the pool, it was cloudy and seemed to be murky, then about a week or two later it was awesome. Now it is amazing, I can see every imperfection in my pool plaster, LOL.

No not affiliated with Delzone, I have had good results with the triopure product so far. Just sharing my current results, could change tomorrow and if it does I will let you know. FYI This weeks water test is CH 2, Ph7.4, Cal 200, Alk 70, CYA70.

I have my flak jacket on so let em rip,
    Thanks

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Big_D

I was not real impressed with the Trio Pure system when I started up the pool, it was cloudy and seemed to be murky, then about a week or two later it was awesome. Now it is amazing, I can see every imperfection in my pool plaster, LOL.

I have my flak jacket on so let em rip,
    Thanks
    My pool was a dark green frog pond when it was first stated up. All it took to make it sparkling clear was a good shocking with bleach and turning on the SWG. In just over 24 hours it looked like the picture you see in my avitar and has been that way ever since!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

tonyl is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst tonyl 0

Big D....since you have both Ozone and Salt it's hard to brag about one over the other. I've been a SWG user for several years now and haven't had to shock either, except upon opening. My pool water was also dark green when I opened and in 24 hrs was crystal clear as well.

A friend of mine has a UV Ozone system and loves it and doesn't have to shock either. The only thing he dislikes is trying to keep his chlorine residual stable. I don't recommend ozone when you still have to have chlorine, when you can have a SWG and not have to have ozone.

Tredge is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst Tredge 0

I also have the Trio-pure 50.

I cant compare it to other systems but from what I now know about Ozone.....I cant see that it does anything. Even if I turn the Ozone part of the Trio-pure off it performs exactly the same.

The SWG part of the Trio-pure is marginally good and for the price I cant help but feel I would have been better off with the "autopilot" or other "SWG only" systems favored on these forums.
    Some people have hobbies.....I have a pool.

+ Reply to Thread