+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Pool... Ozone or Salt?

Default Re: New Pool... Ozone or Salt?

I am not trying to compare SWG vs Ozone, the Trio has both so not ozone or chlorine alone. Not sure how I could be bragging about one or the other either. I did have a pool years ago I ran with De and HTH which was the only real option back then.
    Sure the whole thing could be smoke and mirrors. The chemistry says chlorine should not work well with Ozone, but if it is working I think it should be ok to share that.

I am sure there are many, many people that use SWG or BBB only that have very clean water as good or better than my pool. The only reason for my post is if people that have success with different equipment or processes they should share their results.

The reason I have the trio was the owner of the pool company recommended it on me before I found this site. I almost pulled it out, but did not and as of today not unhappy with it. Could die on me tomorrow, cold have an algae out break etc.

Tredge- How do you turn off the Ozone on the Trio mine only has 1 control knob for Chlorine production? "I cant see that it does anything." I have no proof it does anything either but I did notice a few things that were different from other pools next to me with similar use, trees etc.. Could be our brand of sunscreen just dissolves easier who knows.

Again not saying it works for everyone, but so far it is working for us and I guess I am somewhat convinced that this product may actually do as advertised.

Tredge is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst Tredge 0

Tredge- How do you turn off the Ozone on the Trio mine only has 1 control knob for Chlorine production? "I cant see that it does anything." I have no proof it does anything either but I did notice a few things that were different from other pools next to me with similar use, trees etc.. Could be our brand of sunscreen just dissolves easier who knows.
    I have a valve installed on mine where I can prevent the ozone from entering the system.

I can't get it to output more than 2ppm chlorine, others with SWG only systems seem to be able to 'shock' with theirs.

I guess for the money I wish I had a really good SWG over a mediocre SWG with questionable Ozone capability.

Could just be me....I have no direct experience with other products.
    Some people have hobbies.....I have a pool.

After reading all the negatives around the internet about ozone I broke down and made my pool contractor (Blue Haven) convince me why I should use it. He basically said all the stuff I read on the internet is a lack of knowledge on a true Ozonation system. Since I work in the technology field, I always run into that when the "next generation" technology comes out so I kept an open ear. He explained that they’ve built 155 pools this year alone in our area (Blue Haven’s the largest) and every one of those pools has their SmartPure Ozone System and every one of them say they LOVE it. They say the maintenance is way easier then the SWG system. Basically they say to drop one TriChlor tablet in the skimmer each week and that's (basically) all there is to it. With skepticism I insisted on calling a few past customers and they praised it highly! They said out of all the pools they sell nation wide (which they say are thousands a year) 88% of them are SmartPure Ozone Systems.
    I told my pool designer that I'm going to ignore what I'm hearing on the web and take the plunge. I also told him I’d kick his butt if he stirred me wrong. They told me if it didn't do exactly what they are promising they would install a SWG system for no cost. Sounded pretty good to me...

SeanB. is offline --General User-- Weir Watcher SeanB. 0

Quote Originally Posted by deeze
    ... They told me if it didn't do exactly what they are promising they would install a SWG system for no cost. Sounded pretty good to me...
    I'd get that in writting with a stated time frame - seriously. That's a great offer if they mean it.

Tredge is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst Tredge 0

TriChlor tablet in the skimmer each week
    Do a search on these forums and you'll hear bad things about Trichlor. http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...light=trichlor

These add CYA continuously. Over a period of time it WILL require you to drain your pool because there is no other way to elliminate CYA. (High CYA >100 is bad)

If you were really insistant on using Trichlor pucks than what would you need an Ozone system for? Chlorine alone will produce a crystal clear pool.

Seriously. Ozone is a scam, I'm somewhat of a technology buff myself and I understand your desire to want this to work......but its one step above magnets for pools.

I fell for it....dont you fall for it too! ""Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.""
    Last edited by Tredge; 08-11-2006 at 09:16 AM.
    Some people have hobbies.....I have a pool.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

First, I would get it in a signed contract that they will replace the ozone system with a SWG! (and if possible with a very long time limit so you can see for yourself how high the CYA levels will rise in just one pool season!)
    Second, If they are installing a cartridge filter then placing a trichlor tablet in the skimmer is a good way to ruin the cart. Trichlor has a pH of 2 and when they sit in the skimmer with the pump off and then the pump turns on it is the same as pouring acid into the skimmer!
    I would bet that they have some sort of deal with the manufacurer of this equipment and get some sort of kickback for each one they sell!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

I would be very wary of a PB who told you to leave a puck in the skimmer. I can't say for sure that ozone is bad, only that you still need chlorine. Since I still needed CL, I opted for a SWG alone when we built 2 years ago and am completely happy with the decision.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

One thing you need to be aware of....most pool builders don't have a clue about pool maintenace or water chemistry. Ben has even made this comment on one of his posts and I have seen for myself the results of people following PBs advice on pool care when they come in to me with their first water test!
    I can't begin to tell you the number of SWGs that have been started up and run with NO CYA at all in the water (and the owners NEVER being told about the importance of monitoring the pH!) and the number of pools with pH off the scales in both directions because people were following PBs adivce! They want to sell you the equipment that will produce the biggest profit margin for them.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

+ Reply to Thread