+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jandy NeverLube 3-port valves

Default Jandy NeverLube 3-port valves

I believe these valves are used quite frequently in our various plumbing schemes.

Can these valves be used to split the flow between two ports? Jandy technical support represents that they can, but I am wondering how good at that these valves actually are.

Any opinions?

Default Re: Jandy NeverLube 3-port valves

I have 2 3-way NevrLubes.....one on the inlet side (main drain and skimmer are separate lines, I used the 3-way to tie them together before entering the pump), and a 2nd 3-way for the returns (2 separate returns, I use the 3-way to split them from 1 pipe off the filter to 2 separate runs to the pool).

They work quite nicely. Very handy to be able to concentrate the inlet flow (when vacuuming, no need for the main drain), and the return side was installed so I could track down a plumbing leak (by turning off a return I could figure out which one was losing water). The return side valve isnt used as much as the inlet, but I feel its nice to have both of them anyway.

I also like how I never have to lube them, they cost a little more but are well worth it IMHO.

-Chris

I always find it strange that people will call the manufacturer and then doubt what they say about their product.

Virtually every 3-way valve in the field is referred to as a "Jandy" valve despite the fact that there are at least 5 other manufacturers of these type of valves. All valve manufacturers have adopted the lid configuration of Jandy. Why? Because there are so many of them out there. They work and when they wear out parts are easily found. A 3-way valve is designed to divert flow to or from two different directions.

All of the readily available brands (Jandy, Pentair, Waterway, Hayward) are very good.

No, I don't work for any of them, but I do use their products regularly.

poolman, just so we're clear - what I'm asking is...how well does the valve work when I want, for example, ~80% of the flow to go out through one port and ~20% of the flow to go out the other port?

I understand that the valve will operate brilliantly if I want to divert 100% of the flow to either port.

I had a feeling thats what you were asking

Thats how I use it to vacuum my pool....about 80% from the skimmer and 20% from the main drain. Two things to remember: 1. dont cut off one of the ports quickly, go slow. If you go too quickly it will create a water hammer effect and shake all of the plumbing and possibly crack joints. and 2. there may be a point where your pump is trying to pull more water than what the one pipe (the 80% side, if you will) can support sending to the pump. There are specific numbers (i.e. one 1.5" line flows a max of X GPM), but its best just to watch what happens (the water level in the pump may drop as it cant pull more than one 1.5" line supports). 80/20 split seems to work OK on my system. I lose a little water in the pump basket, but I can actually partially close one of the returns with the other valve and it creates enough backpressure that the pump doesnt try to "overpump" the skimmer line.

Wow that was long winded, hopefully you get the point

-Chris

+ Reply to Thread