+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Filling and liner stretching

Default Re: Filling and liner stretching

I'm in the process right now of filling my pool after replacing the liner today. I have right at 12" of water in the pool currently, but the sun is setting. The low tonight is 69° F (about 20° C). Should I continue to fill overnight, or wait to start again in the morning? I used Matt's method of installation (mentioned in the post above mine), and there is some air gap between the liner and the wall above the water level.

Tomorrow's forecast is mostly sunny with occasional pop-up summer thunderstorms.

Hi, with 12" of water in the pool you should be fine to let it fill all night. The stretching should be done and the liner tight against the wall. If so, let it go.

Enjoy, Dennis
    AG pool installer
    Arizona

There is some air gap between the liner and the wall in a few areas. Other areas the liner is pretty tight against the wall. If I continue to fill, won't the water just push the liner against the wall in the areas where there is air?

It's not much air, maybe a couple inches between the liner and the wall, most of it near the water level. Oh, and no wrinkles anywhere. We managed to do a very good job of stretching/removing wrinkles with the hot sun and shop vac during the day today. Liner went in around noon and has been baking in the sun all day long.

Great job, I would let it fill.

Dennis
    AG pool installer
    Arizona

I did turn off the water last night because I was just uncomfortable with the two sides of the liner that are still bowed. I have been filling since early light this morning, and the pool is a little over half filled.

The liner seems to be a little stretched, though. What I mean by this is either my pool is not round, or the liner is not round. On the east/west sides of the pool the liner has only about three inches of overlap. On the north/south sides, there is about 8 inches of overlap. I never paid much attention to see if this was also the case with the old liner.

Is this normal?

It could be either, but yes it is very normal. How did it fill up? Are you swimming in the morning?

Later, Dennis
    AG pool installer
    Arizona

It's full to just below the return. I'll cut in the return this evening when I get home from work (it's one of those Aqualuminators).

I can't install the drain yet because I am still missing the gasket. It's a Jacuzzi model that is rubberized, and the damn thing costs $60 for the set. I'll have the gasket Tuesday, so I'll install the drain Tuesday afternoon after work.

In the meantime, I'm considering running a piece of flex hose over the wall so I can run the pump and get some water circulating. The only problem I can see with doing this is that the hose might get stuck suctioning to the wall and put a hole in the liner as well as burn out the pump. I wonder if there might be a good way to do this that wouldn't be so potentially damaging? Any ideas?

I'd really like to get some chemicals in the pool and water circulating this afternoon if at all possible, even though I won't be able to use the drain just yet.

Just to give you our experience with the Aqualuminator, we had it installed professionally and he put clear waterproof calking all over the inside of the rubber gasket that comes with it and made us let it cure for 24 hours before filling up. We didn't put calking around the skimmer because we installed it ourselves and the instructions didn't say to, but neither did the instructions for the light. Kinda makes me wish we had since a professional pool man used it.

That was the longest 24 hours ever for the reasons you are experiencing.

Shelley

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

I didn't have to do a thing with my aqualuminator, normal as per instructions install- neve leaked yet.

Liners seem to have that oval tendency - I thought my neighbour's was like that because of the big dip in his pool - a foot deeper in middle - barely stretched over wall at two oposing ends!

Yeah, that's how mine is. Barely two inches on two opposing ends. I'm putting on the coping strips this evening, even though I have about a foot of water left to go. I'm waiting on the gaskets for my drain before I install the drain and the return, but I think I can get the liner stretched over the wall tonight and maybe start on part of the beauty ring once I get all the coping strips in place.

I'm going to pour some more bleach in the water after the sun goes down and agitate it as best I can. The filter gaskets should be here tomorrow, so hopefully I can get the filter and return cut in and get some water moving tomorrow evening.

+ Reply to Thread