Closed Thread

Thread: Crack in concrete deck

Default Crack in concrete deck

HI: We have in-ground gunite pool about 15 yrs old. While the pool is just fine, the concrete deck around the pool has developed all around. Near the deep end of the pool the deck has settled almost 1.5-2". So there is a crack about 1" wide near the deep section. Elsewhere it is little more than a hairline crack.

The quetion I have is - what is the best fix for this? Can i simply get more concrete poured over it? I would like to conceal the crack and even the settled surface of the deck.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

y0manda is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst y0manda 0

Default Re: Crack in concrete deck

check your area for masons that specialize in stamped overlay concrete work, it may be your best option considering you will get stamped concrete and perhaps colored. Remember to get at least a few bids and also check out his work from other customers.

For the settled section, look in to concrete jacking. They drill holes through the cement and then inject a dried conrete mixture under high pressure (I believe). A neighbor had it done to their driveway to bring the settled section back to level. Then seal your cracks.

CallMeIshmael is offline ** No working email address ** CallMeIshmael 0

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat
    For the settled section, look in to concrete jacking. They drill holes through the cement and then inject a dried conrete mixture under high pressure (I believe). A neighbor had it done to their driveway to bring the settled section back to level. Then seal your cracks.
    This is also called Pressure Grout injection, and it's very effective, basicallly creating columns up to 12 ft below grade. If you look into it, I'd have a very frank conversation with the contractor about potential damage to the pool walls, since that much pressure can create shifting or even cracks if not applied carefully. That risk varies by soil types and the solidity of the pool walls naturally.

Just personally, I'd discourage covering over the concrete without addressing the underlying cause. We had the exact same appearance of deck settlement around our pool & it turned out there were large voids (an understatement!) underneath the deck. I posted pics here- Let's just say the settlement on top may be the tip of the iceberg. Your repair will be different if you're located on a hillside (retaining wall, drainage, new deck, etc) or surrounding level ground. An local engineer may be helpful.
    Good Luck.

Closed Thread