+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Calibration procedure for AquaLogic Salt Level

joelq is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst joelq 0

Default Calibration procedure for AquaLogic Salt Level

Hi all - we have an AquaLogic PS-8 with TurboCell. This is a brand new system, but it seems to be consistently reading a salt level that is 400-600 ppm lower than a Taylor Sodium Chloride Test Kit K-1766.

I'm wondering if my PS-8 needs to be calibrated? The PS-8 automatically shuts off the cell when the salt level is too low (I assume, below 2700 ppms?). If the PS-8 is indeed off, then the system wouldn't even turn on the cell until the true salt level was 3100-3300 ppms, which is too high. I'd like to keep the salt level at the low end of the range to minimize the salty taste, even though a higher salt level might be more efficient.

I've read that there is a calibration procedure, but that it is meant for pool maintenance folks. Is there a DIY procedure?

Thanks!

PatL34 is offline Lifetime Member Widget Weaver PatL34 2 stars PatL34 2 stars

Default Re: Calibration procedure for AquaLogic Salt Level

Yes there is. It should be spelt out in your manual.

Pat
    20,000 Gallon IG Diamond Brite pool, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite pump, Hayward Microclear DE3600 filter, Favco solar panels, Poolpilot DIG-220 with SC-48 cell.

+ SWCG OPERATION thread here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=1226
    + SWCG Running Costs post here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=316
    + Effective Stabilizer addition post here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?p=6645

Thanks, Pat. Can you point out where it is in the manual? I've look through all the documentation I have and can't find any. Thanks!

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

joelq,

I have the same controller as you but purchased last year and at least for my version of the unit, I do not believe there is a calibration. You can reset the salt reading with the instaneous salt reading through the diagnostic menu but that is about it.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Thanks, Mark. I just did a drop test this evening and according to the Taylor test kit, I have 3600 ppm, and the PS-8 is showing 2900 ppm! Do you know how low I can take the salt level and the PS-8 not complain of "low salt"? 2700?

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

I think I remember having mine down to 2600 once without shutting off but if you want to know the exact limit, I suggest calling Goldline. They are pretty good at answering those types of questions. For example, I found out from them that the upper limit on salt is derived from 8 amps of current before a high salt warning shuts off the cell.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Unless it has something to do with the += salt button in the diagnostics display, I don't think there is an obvious calibration on the Aqualogic. Someone posted a couple weeks ago that you can call Goldline and they'll maybe tell you if you do your own service work.

If anyone gets this, please post the instructions.

Thanks,
    Robert
    ~~
    22K gallon, IG, gunite, Sunstone Pearl White Pearl plaster, Aqualogic SWCG, Hayward Tristar pool pump, Pentair Whisperflo waterfall pump, Pentair Clean & Clear 320 cartridge filter, Sta-Rite heater.

PatL34 is offline Lifetime Member Widget Weaver PatL34 2 stars PatL34 2 stars

If that salt button is the adjustment, then I would give it a try. I too checked the manual, and was surprised at the lack of detail.

I know I can adjust it with the PoolPilot controller.

Pat
    20,000 Gallon IG Diamond Brite pool, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite pump, Hayward Microclear DE3600 filter, Favco solar panels, Poolpilot DIG-220 with SC-48 cell.

+ SWCG OPERATION thread here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=1226
    + SWCG Running Costs post here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=316
    + Effective Stabilizer addition post here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?p=6645

+ Reply to Thread