Closed Thread

Thread: help Need to get my Filter Running

Default help Need to get my Filter Running

Hello all

Just moved into a home with a large built in pool 50 ft long 25 feet wide. Deep end 10ft deep. The pool is 25 years old and not been well maintained. The liner is ok but the filter does not work. It has an American Products DE filter not sure what model as stickers are worn off. The Filter grids are missing, all that is left is the stainless steel container. The pump is a 1 1/2 HP Hayward something can't make out rest. Pump turns on then about 1 hour later gets to hot and shuts off. Called several Pool services and they do not return my call so I am on my own. I think I need to replace the pump and get new grids for the filter any idea where to start ? If it helps I will attach some pic's.

Thanks

Chris

Default Re: help Need to get my Filter Running

A 1.5hp pump is probably too large unless you have 2.5" (ID) or larger plumbing. If it is very old, don't waste money rebuilding, get a new pump, you'll be happier in the long run.

For your filter, you will need a grid set (7 full and 1 partial grid), possibly a manifold, air-relief screen, tank "O" ring. If you don't know the size of the filter, measure the tank height with the lid on. Give this measurement to a pool supply and they can get the correct grids.

Is the tank-clamp there? If not, and you need all these other parts also, it might be better to get a new filter.

Thanks I think a new filter is the way to go. The pool is green. Should I put chemicals in the water while now or wait till the filter is replaced ?

If now should I use shock ?

duraleigh Guest

You will have a difficult time clearing the pool with the condition of your pump and filter. If the replacement is within the next two weeks, I think I'd get the circulatory system up and running so you can apply your chemicals correctly....circulation is virtually mandatory to clear algae out of the pool.

Now, after all that, It certainly doesn't hurt to put in some clorox to sort of hold the algae at bay....that'll make it somewhat easier to clear when you get your equipment running. You'll have mixed results doing so. I would concentrate on getting the mechanical portion correct ASAP then you can devote your full attention to clearing the water.

Got a new filter and pump to be install this saturday. Thanks for the advice.

Chris

Closed Thread