+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Algae under pool steps

Default Algae under pool steps

We have the 'wedding cake' steps in our AG pool and the amount of green algae growing under them is awesome! We have no algae groth anywhere else, the bottom and sides don't feel slick, the water is clear and sparkling. But now and then there peek small bands of algae out from under the steps. This is when we dismantle them, move them aside, and do some serious brushing, usually at dusk so I can then shock the water after the sun has set. Apparently, the water doesn't circulate adequately behind and under the steps. Do we have to just live with this or is there a more permanent solution to this problem? I saw a different set of steps which have lattice-like sides which would allow for better circulation, but they say the pool bottom has to be flat. Our pool has kind of a coved space, maybe 8 inches, where the bottom meets the sides. How do you folks deal with algae under the steps?
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

Default Re: Algae under pool steps

I know a guy who tosses a couple of pucks under there, so he says at least, I would love to see his liner under the steps. Plus his CYA levels are probably high from doing that, he does not use the BBB method either. That is what has kept me from buying those steps, what about coring some 2" holes through the sides here and there? What about piping in a return jet behind them, or a combination of the two, if you were blasting the water in there and it was coming out the holes it would be circulated.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

It's a problem. I don't yet have the definitive solution. I tried using salt bags to weigh down the steps. They kept the algae from growing but the salt dissolved far faster than I expected.
    Carl

Ok, I like the idea of cutting some holes in the sides. Plumbing a return jet is beyond my skills but I've been thinking of running the blue hose from the return to behind the steps where I can wedge it in. Then, after I've shocked, I can direct water under the steps for a while, and what with the vent holes in the sides, I'd get some circulation. Hmmm . . . design time

I would cut round holes, as in using a drill with a hole saw attachment. Anything else would weeken it I think.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

When I got mine, I immediately drilled 3/8" holes in each front step so it would sink better and not trap air.

I've tried using salt instead of sand to weigh it down. I've tried tossing a floater in set to the lowest level.

So far, a side effect of the salt dissolving faster than I planned has been pretty good. The bannisters (my has two) hold the steps in place extremely well even though now the weight is gone since the 160# of salt dissolved. The higher salt level in my water and the increased flow under the steps since they float slightly and move more when you walk on them (but are still stable) seems to be moving more water under them and allowing less algae build up.
    Carl

I like your technique of putting the holes in the bottom step for air release. That's a good idea. We do need the steps to be stable and not float because they're used by the dogs, two of them very old and they'd freak if the steps were too wobbly - which is why I can't get the Scamper ramp. These boys no longer have the strength to climb up one.

We installed both hand rails and bolted them to the deck and they do a nice job keeping the steps in place, together with the 100# of sand (which I don't like but haven't yet found anything better that fits).

We'll be spending some time scrubbing and bleaching and drilling tomorrow. I'll post the results in a week or so.

I've got these steps and this year I drilled holes in the sides. Three, 3 inch holes on each side.
    http://www.lumi-o.com/pro/mod.php?lang=en&mn=5302
    After drilling the holes the difference was very noticeable we have yet to see algae in them. Even while we were using Pristine Blue earlier this year we never saw algae in them. We angle our return to the side so it moves the water in a circle around the pool. If the algae is inside the stairs, like mine was, tbit his will definitely help. Now, having switched to BBB all I get in the stairs is a little of a brown residue that the filter won't catch. I just put my vacuum hose in there and it sucks it out.

We have Lumi-O steps and they already have several holes already drilled in each side. I do not recommend adding a puck in the steps as it can bleach your liner! Trust me on that Lumi-o had it listed as a recommendation in their instructions and that is why I did it. Steps also have a 2" hole in the top of the 2nd step for placing a hose when adding water to your pool. This I do recommend as it does circulate water through the steps. I do get debris that settles in the steps as someone mentioned but no algae. The two things that I do and so far have been successful with are; add 4 Oz's of poly 60 over my steps every Sunday and as often as possible before getting out of the pool I would around the perimeter for a couple laps to get a good old fashion whirlpool going. Not only does it circulate the water past the steps but it is great exercise as well
    Joe
    27ft 17K gallon Polytech aluminum & stainless AG Pool / DE filter / Wedding Cake Steps

+ Reply to Thread