Closed Thread

Thread: In Ground Pool Cost - Which Cost the Most?

Default In Ground Pool Cost - Which Cost the Most?

Regarding PC installed pools, are gunite pools usually more expensive than the vinyl lined polymer walled pools in the southern U.S.? What about Fiberglass? I am under the impression that gunite and fiberglass are both more expensive than comparable size vinyl lined pools. I have not pursued a quote, because one local contractor told us that the gunite and fiberglass pools usually cost about 30% more. Currently, we are planning on paying about $26,000 for a 40 x 20 pool with about 28,000 gals capacity.
    However, a co-worker is convinced that he just had a free form custom 20,000 gal gunite pool installed for about $7,000 less than he could have had a well made polymer walled vinyl pool installed. Blue Haven Pools quoted both pools for him, and convinced him that gunite is the least expensive. Granted gunite is impressive, but I tend to disagree with Blue Haven's assertion that gunite is less than vinyl. I am wondering if they told him that vinyl is more costly, because they specialize in gunite pools?
    Nontheless, our friend is very satisfied with construction (completed) and he has a gorgeous pool. He doesn't have a lot of bells or whistles, and the pool is smaller than the vinyl we are considering. Moreover, it costs about 30% more than our vinyl quote. His pool really looks small-maybe due to the free form? On the other hand, our pool not only looks large, but will be large. Yet its just a standard grecian pool kit by Hydra. Not nearly as classy as the gunite. We are about ready to sign a contract on the vinyl pool, but can't help but wonder if we are making a mistake sacrificing superior "durability" and "class" for average "durabilty" and size? Although we could, we can't imagine paying 30% more for about 30% less swim area. The Hydra pool seems like it will meet our needs and be economical, as well. FYI we are within a 2 hour drive of Little Rock, AR, Shreveport, LA and Texarkana, TX.

Default Re: In Ground Pool Cost - Which Cost the Most?

webfeet-
    Take a look at this thread: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...ght=blue+haven

Also- the biggest fiberglass pool we can find is an 18'x40, most are only 16'x40'.
    Our blue pop up pool is 16' and the kids are jumping on each others heads!
    We are like you, in the research stage, trying to find the most pool for our money. Gotta love that 20x40 or the 20x40x50 true L
    I know you are still up in the air on which type of pool to go with, but do you have a goal for when you want to break ground? This fall or next spring or summer?

~hoffmans

Closed Thread