Closed Thread

Thread: pool quote

Default pool quote

Hi. I'm interested in getting feedback from you folks on a quote I received for an inground pool. I feel that the quote is slightly incomplete, and a little on the high side. I know that the cost of materials has risen substantially in recent years, however, my budget hasn't. So here it is.

 ONE 16’ X 40’ RECTANGULAR SHAPED STEEL REINFORCED GUNITE CONCRETE POOL WITH DEPTHS OF 3’-6” – 5’-0”.
     SOLID 6” X 6” FROST PROOF TILE AT WATERLINE.
     GREY MARBELITE FINISH ON INTERIOR OF POOL, HAND TROWELED TO A SMOOTH, NON-SKID SURFACE.
     WALK IN STEPS IN SHALLOW END CORNER.
     TWO 500-WATT UNDERWATER LIGHTS.
     DUAL MAIN DRAINS, TWO SKIMMERS, THREE RETURNS, AND POOL SWEEP LINE.
     HI-RATE SAND FILTER TANK WITH 2” MULTIPORT VALVE AND 1 H.P. AQUATECH 2-SPEED PUMP.
     MAINTENANCE KIT AND VACUUM KIT INCLUDING 8’ - 16’ TELESCOPIC POLE, POOL BRUSH, SKIMMER NET, VACUUM HOSE, VACUUM HEAD, THERMOMETER, SKIM VAC AND WATER TEST KIT.
     EXCAVATION, BACKFILL, AND ROUGH GRADE.
     ALL SYSTEM PIPING TO BE TYPE I SCH 40 PVC WITH SOLVENT WELD FITTINGS, NSF APPROVED.

PRICE: $34,600.00

OPTIONS:
    - SALT GENERATOR (Goldline) $1,500.00
    - POLARIS AUTOMATIC POOL CLEANER (no idea) $1,200.00
    - NYLON MESH WINTER COVER $1,450.00
    - GOLDLINE CONTROL SYSTEM WITH IN HOUSE WIRELESS REMOTE $1,650.00
    - 12” X 2” THICK BLUESTONE COPING $4,800.00

*PRICE EXCLUSIVE OF ELECTRICAL, GAS HOOK UPS, ANY VENTING OR PIPING NECESSARY FOR HEATER UNIT, AND WATER TO FILL POOL.

I feel like the plumbing and electrical details should be spelled out further. Any suggestions as to what I should find out that's missing? Thanks all.

Chris

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Seems like a good price to me but I am in Northern Cal where everything costs more.

One comment is that I went with the Aqualogic controller and salt generator from Goldline which I paid less than $1600 for both. The Aqualogic does not require an additional controller for SWG only the cell which is about $400 more. So check some web pricing to make sure they are not overpriced. Definitely go for a SWG and controller if you can, it will make life much easier on you.

Also, you did not mention the pipe size. I would recommend at least 2" with separate suction lines to the pad for the skimmers and main with control valves for each.

More details in the quote would be better for your sake. Nail them down on every little detail so there are no surprises later.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

InfinityPools is offline ** No working email address ** InfinityPools -

don't know where your at, But that is a pretty standard price here in florida.

I wish I was getting quotes like that, I have quotes from 73k to over 100k, with Pebbletec/PebbleSheen/diamondbrite, salt chlorinator, with spa, bbq, firepit, pool 18x36, raised bond beam wall, french drain behind wall, with another 1200ft of colored,stamped concrete. Now my prices have not even touched redoing sprinkers, or lancscaping.

The most important thing is to get a good builder you can trust. If you save a couple of thousands dollars, but end up with a POS pool, the savings might not be worth it. Not that paying top dollar will guaranteee a great pool either.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: pool quote

There's a good chance the electrician is a completely seperate quote--mine was about $1200, but he did EVERYTHING perfectly, to code and EXACTLY as I wanted it, including running 40amp cable for a future heat pump, should I want one (haven't so far)

Part of the hookup is the banding of the pool--grounding--which a licensed electrician must do.

My town (and I believe BOCA code) also requires all pumps must have timers.

My AG has all the features of your quote, but with solar rather than a heater. No SWG either, but it's 16x40 from 4' to 5.5' and is built in...check out the pictures in the What does your pool look like? thread.

Because of the base it was about $21k--the base was $5k alone.
    Carl

The one thing I see that's missing is any decking at all?

Thanks all for your comments. It sounds like the quote I received was in the right ball park. I'm in central Va and we only have one pool builder in my area. I could go a little east to Richmond to try to find someone to give me another estimate. I'm not sure someone would want a job located an hour away from their place of business.

The confusing parts of the quote to me were the salt water chlorinator related items. Those numbers both seemed rather high. I suppose that I need to get clarification on many things. Plumbing and electrical details. Lights. What did you folks do for lights in your pool? Does two lights sound right for a pool this size?

There was no deck component to the proposal because we already have made arrangements with our landscaper to join the pool deck (dry laid pavers) up with the current patio. We bought enough materials when we first built the patio last year to cover the pool deck requirements.

Chris

Now you can purchase the aquarite at Ebay, or other online places for $699. But your price is the price I have been quoted. You could always purchase it and have someone else install it afterward. You will need to have the electrical down and and mount the box on to something. But you could save $300 to $400 or so if you pay a plumber to do it. You can also try to get a card from the plumber the pool company will use, and then hire them out to install it afterward.

Your price on the in house controller system, is inline with my quotes, I just have not been quoted that brand. That is another thing you can install yourself and save $300 to $400 dollars or so. But again you will need to mount it, know how to wire up relays, program it up.

Davenj is offline Lifetime Member Thread Analyst Davenj 0

Check on multiple handling during excavation. Here they charge if they can't get the truck next to the excavator. What the charge is for dirty load ( large roots etc.). The charge for bringing dirt back or removing excess during back fill. Extra decking and retaining wall if needed. Gas piping to heater was extra also. Some of the things I and others have ran into that drives the price up.

Closed Thread