+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Blue Diamond versus Aquabot T2

Skillset Guest

Default Blue Diamond versus Aquabot T2

I have been following Carl D's saga with Maytronics/Smartpools and his new Blue Diamond. I am considering the BD or the Aquabot T2 for my IG Fiberglass 13,000G pool. Both seem very similar with newer technologies - but are very new. So, not too many opinions or reviews on either. Was also following CarlD's new experience with the BD.

After doing some research I wrote Watertech, makers of the BD, and asked them a few questions. No response. I then posed a question to "Rich" on the pooldrstore.com website and got a very quick response. But then had some follow-up questions for him and sent another e-mail to pooldrstore.com and got no response. Followed up again and no response. I'd love to consider the BD, but seems like I'm getting nowhere getting some basic questions answers.

My initial contact on the T2 on the Aquaproducts website got answered immediately from the sales dept. at aquaservicedist.com. I guess Aquaproducts directs all inquires there. In some back-and-forth e-mailing with them, I got my questions answered very quickly (within minutes in e-mail). Very knowlegable sales rep.

Major difference between the two units seems only to be the warranty. Both have 4 years, but the T2 is prorated. Meaning, after 1 year, only 75% of a repair is covered and in the 4th year, only 25% is covered. Clearly, a lousy policy.

Because of the expense of these units, I also want to purchase someplace where I can return the unit if I don't like. Best I could find is $1271 for the BD and $1414 for T2. Not many places on-line that sell these models with a liberal return policy.

Can anybody comment on the overall service from Watertech or Aquaproducts? I'm leaning toward the BD since it's cheaper and has a better warranty, but again, don't want to go through what Carl went through if I ever have a problem. I'd gladly pay an extra $140 for the T2 if Watertech had lousy service and Aquaproducts was better at it, despite have a worse warranty. Warranties are only as good as the company willing to back them up.

Love to hear from Aquabot folks who have had service or PoolBuster folks who have had service.

Marc

Default Re: Blue Diamond versus Aquabot T2

Wow, $1400 for a cleaner with no remote? Does it come with a cart? Seems like a lot of dough to me.

I don't know why pepole are still discounting the Dolphin. Even CarlD will tell you that when the Dolphin worked it did a great job. His main problem was with the service afterward.

Even the BD is not without flaws. I particularly don't care for the cart design with the power supply beneath the robot. It looks cheap too but I've never seen one in person so maybe it's a bad picture.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Buy the Dolphin Dynamic from Costco!!! It's cheaper ($1080 shipped) and if it fails or you don't like it bring it back to Costco and get ALL of your money back including shipping. If it fails in 5 years save your receipt and bring it back to Costco and get ALL of your money back. Seems like a no brainer to me. Then again I am satisfied with my Dolphin.....

Skillset Guest

Nope - no remote for these guys. I didn't really want one. I sort of discounted Dolphin due to the negative posts here - there seems to be a lot of them.

Anyway, I was hoping to pay a bit more a get a better unit. Seems like the T2 and BD cover a pool differently than the back-and-forth of the other robots, which makes them finish the pool faster.

How long does the Dynamic take to do your pool (also please give your pool info). Costco is definitely a big plus. I have one near me, but don't shop there - do they really allow a returns after 5 years?

Check with Aqua Distributors, Wyckoff. Prices and service are the best. You must/should haggle with them over price. My Aquabot w/remote was less than $950.00

Yes, Costco's return policy is the best anywhere. I returned a patio umbrella after 2 years (it rotted) and they happily refunded my money. That is not to suggest I take advantage of their system just that they are very willing to make the customer happy. If your Dolphin fails and you have the receipt they will have no problem exchanging it or giving you all your money back.

I can guarantee no other robot vendor will do that.

Anyway, my pool is an irregular kidney 18x36 vinyl. The cycle is 6 hours (this is the default - it is programmable though). I put it in before I go to bed and it's done when I wake up.

BTW, you'll have to buy it at costco.com. I have never seen the Dolphin in the B&M stores.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

B/Ds are expensive. Are they that much better? I dunno. It works really well but I HAVE to take the ladder out each time. They lead you to believe you can just toss it in any pool and 1 hour later, it's clean, no matter the shape.

This is misleading: They really are only designed for rectangular pools--all their claims of "superior" software are B/S. Luckily, I have a rectangular pool. Otherwise, you need to use the remote as a joystick--what's the use of THAT?

If your pool is NOT rectangular, do not get a Blue Diamond. You will be disappointed. But if it is rectangular, you'll be delighted by it.
    Carl

Check out the blue pearl, I bought one when I returned the Dolphin to Costco. It works better and faster than the Dolphin and only costs about $700.

So what have we learned? All the robotic pool cleaners have their pros and cons. None of them are perfect, all are overpriced and all will fail sooner or later. I can say that despite all the negatives posted about every robot I would never go back to using a manual vacuum. That sucks (excuse the pun). I feel a robotic pool cleaner (insert brand here) and a Poolbuster is the ultimate combo.

Skillset Guest

CleanCloths: Why did you return the Dolphin? How long does the Blue Pearl take to clean the bottom only?

CarlD: I saw a thread awhile back regarding the BD's performance in a non-rectangular pool. I think you posted this, too. Anyway, this is one of the questions I wrote to PoolDrstore.com, where they hapily told me the BD will clean any shaped pool. My pool is sort of oval that is pinched in on both sides - sort of like a figure 8.

Cruzmisl: What's the cycle time required for just bottom cleaning?

Everytime I use my Polaris Raptor suction cleaner I keep telling myself I really need something else. It really is bad.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

hzz is offline Lifetime Member Thread Analyst hzz 1 star

My Dolphin is still going strong after almost 3 years.

No problems. I have the remote model,but if I had to do it over again I am not sure it was worth the extra cost. I rarely use the remote feature.

I put the dolphin in the pool on the 6 hour cycle, but usually the pool is pretty much clean after about 2 hours. I have a 20x40 rectangle with steps and a ladder.

+ Reply to Thread