+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Getting a new fiberglass pool

Default Getting a new fiberglass pool

I've been reading through these forums (which are great!) and am starting to get a little nervous. Has anyone installed a fiberglass pool and NOT had any staining or installation problems? I'm also worried about the contract we signed. We pretty much pay in full as soon as they show up with the pool. The main reason we went with fiberglass was ease of maintenance, but it sounds like stains are a big problem. Anything I should know before they come to install next week? Thanks.

Tisha

DONNIE is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst DONNIE 0

Default Re: Getting a new fiberglass pool

I have a new fg pool being installed early October. I have researched your question myself. Before you get too excited have your water tested for metals. That is usually your source of stains. If you do have high metals you can treat for it and hopefully avoid staining with different sequestering agents. There are many posts in the "stains and metal matters" thread. I too was worried but these guys on here will put your mind at ease. hope that helps.

Donnie

Thanks Donnie. How do I find out if I have metal in my water?

Tisha

You can buy test kits or do as I and take a clean sample of your tap water to a reputable pool supply store.

If I do have high metal levels, should I consider using different water to fill the pool? Also, may I ask why you chose fiberglass? We liked the price, ease of maintenance (I hope) and ease of installation (I hope). We purchased a Dolphin pool from a dealer in New Jersey. We live outside of Philadelphia.

Tisha

We have a rather small area to put in our pool. I did quiet a bit of research before making the decision. Chose fiberglass mainly for the maintainence issues but also for the size, quality and cost. We are getting a Viking 12x24 kidney. It's going to be soooooooooooooooo great!!

Donnie

Good luck with it. I'll let you know how our install goes.

Tisha

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

This is my 7th year for my fiberglass pool and I love it. I have learned to manage the stains - fiberglass pools do tend to stain easily. The trick is to keep the ph on the low side, and alkalinity on the low side. Add the chlorine slowly - cal hypo seems to bring out stains more easily - I stick to bleach, and pucks very sparingly. My pool still looks like new. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

gerri is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst gerri 0

I have a fiberglass pool. I did have problems with the pool company/installation but only because my pool was installed in heavy rain by an idiot with a backhoe. They ruined my yard on all 4 sides... I had expected 2, but honestly all 4 sides of my house were deeply rutted mudholes all over. I have no idea why they did this, but I made them come back after it dried out and fix it as best as an idiot can.

I've had my pool I think 4 years and this is the first year with bad staining. Previous years have been beautiful low maintenance years, which was great when I was pregnant and last year when my child was only 1. I'm a single mom so low maintenance is fantastic.

I have read so much here I think I have a handle on my staining. Listen to mbar, she knows EXACTLY what she's talking about. Keep a sequesterant in your water if you have any metals (and I say even if you THINK you don't) - I use Metal, Scale and Stain out by AquaChem from WalMart. It does the job. You add 1 quart per 10,000 gallons. If you have metals this sequestering agent keeps them in solution so the metals don't stick to the walls of your pool and cause the yellow/brown staining.

All in all I like my fiberglass pool. It is pretty and I don't have to worry about a liner replacement ever. My pool shell has a lifetime warranty (granted that means lifetime of the company) and I liked that idea too. I'm happy with my decision to go with the inground fiberglass pool. I just wish I had bought it from a different company than I did.

Thanks Marie, thanks Gerri. I think I'll be using this forum a lot in the very near furture. I would love to see some pics of your pools.

Tisha

+ Reply to Thread