+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Freaked Out by ALgae Help!

Default Freaked Out by ALgae Help!

Hi Everyone..we are so newbies to the larger pool and we are freaked that we found some algae at the bottom yesterday...its not alot,just bits here and there on the bottom,but Iam freaked that it will get worst

When we had the water tested,we were told the chlorine was high,but the stabalizer and cal were low..

How can I get rid of the algae step by step.
    Here are our stats

18X33 Oval above ground-64000 Liters
    Sand filter

Free Chlorine-4.0
    PH-7.5
    Hardiness-`135
    Alka-104
    Cya-120

The pool place told us to add more cal and stabalizer

Thanks so so much!
    Last edited by mysticgraces; 08-02-2006 at 12:47 PM.

Default Re: Freaked Out by ALgae Help!

Quote Originally Posted by mysticgraces
    Hi Everyone..we are so newbies to the larger pool and we are freaked that we found some algae at the bottom yesterday...its not alot,just bits here and there on the bottom,but Iam freaked that it will get worst

When we had the water tested,we were told the chlorine was high,but the stabalizer and cal were low..

How can I get rid of the algae step by step.
    Here are our stats

18X33 Oval above ground-64000 Liters
    Sand filter

Free Chlorine-4.0
    PH-7.5
    Hardiness-`135
    Alka-104

The pool place told us to add more cal and stabalizer

Thanks so so much!
    I wouldn't add anything without knowing your CYA level. Your numbers are pretty darned good. Bits here and there doesn't really sound like algae.

Hi Cya is 120....I added it later to my post...oh Iam sure its algae..its green and is sitting on the bottom of the pool and disappears when you touch it

Quote Originally Posted by mysticgraces
    Hi Cya is 120....I added it later to my post...oh Iam sure its algae..its green and is sitting on the bottom of the pool and disappears when you touch it
    Your CYA is 120 and they told you to add more??????

They told you your stabilizer and cal was low? Your stabilizer is HIGH and vinyl pools do not need calcium. With your CYA at 120, you need between 8-15 ppm FC to remain normal. You need 25 ppm to shock but I don't know if that would be good on a vinyl pool. I would think about draining 1/2 of the pool to reduce your CYA level some. See this thread to see what you need to maintain your FC at with your CYA level. http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=365

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

120 is a VERY high CYA.

You need to add bleach until your FC level is 25ppm, and keep it there until the algae is dead and your water is clear. (This is called shocking)

Then you need to keep your FC level between 8 and 15ppm all the time.

Alternatively, drain half your water and refill to lower CYA to 60. Then shock to 15-20ppm and keep a maintenance level of 5 to 10ppm of Free Chlorine.

Oh--and NEVER trust a pool store that says a CYA of 120 is low! 20 is low, 120 is too high.
    Carl

Default Oh Iam SO DUMB

Sorry folks..I added a 1 by accident to the CYA..its actually at 20 and NOT 120 DUH! and hres the really stupid part..when I looked again at the bottom of the pool the spots look like SAND..its grey,not green (we have a blue liner,hence the colour blindness) so I suspect the filter is spewing out sand...I noticed it once before after we vacummed the pool..
    Last edited by mysticgraces; 08-02-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Well that makes a little bit of a difference With a CYA of 20 your FC is just right at 4 ppm. Now the sand bit I don't know about, we have a CART filter.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

CYA = 20?

Ok, shock to 10 or 12 and hold it there until algae is dead, then maintain between 3 and 6ppm.

You should raise CYA to 30 or 40--Use 1/3 to 1/2 of what you calculate you'll need to get it there.

Or you can use Tri-chlor pucks/sticks --they'll add it.
    Carl

Sounds like you have mustard algae. Its brown and looks like sand. Sits on the bottom of the pool in spots about htes size of a quarter. Sound like your problem? I don't think its sand since you stated that it disappears when touched. Sand doesn't dissolve, so it wouldn't do that. This algae seems bloom right after a good rain. You need to shock like they say here and hold it there for a couple of days or even a week until the algae doesn't return anymore. Also need to vacuum that stuff to waste to get it out of your pool. To keep it from coming back in the future, I would shock every time after a good rainfall.

+ Reply to Thread