+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What automatic cleaner for AG pool?

Default What automatic cleaner for AG pool?

We use the Polaris 65 now. It's ok, snags the dog hair and leaves but it does nothing for the 'fine' stuff other than blowing it around some. Plus, it has the occasional nervous breakdown and forgets what it's doing. Then, it swims in circles, going over the same area time and time again until I haul it out, drain it, talk to it in a calm and soothing voice . . . Are there any gadgets for an above-ground pool which actually work without supervision?
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: What automatic cleaner for AG pool?

Two things.
    First, toss a handfull of cotton balls in the catch bag. Better still, sheet cotton, about 6"x6". Drug stores sell it--used to be more common for cleaning up cuts and scrapes and is like a wide, flat cotton ball you cut what you need from. Put that in the Polaris's catch-bag and it will fillter so much stuff out you won't believe it.

Second, it sounds like there's a clog or buildup inside the control mechanism that floats on top. There's a series of mechanical gears, rotors and ball-bearings that keep shifting the output flow to each of the 4 jets. If they get even slightly gunked up, it goes in circles.
    I don't know if you can soak it in a bucket of vinegar solution or something to clear the inner mechanism, but Polaris can send you a replacement for it--it looks like a foot-long, transparent bug!

Those two things and the Polaris should make you MUCH happier.
    Carl

Thanks, Carl. I'll definitely try the sheet cotton as an additional filtration medium. We had already taken apart the workings of the Polaris and cleaned everything. It works for a little while, a few uses, and then goes batty again. But when it works, it does a pretty decent job.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD
    Those two things and the Polaris should make you MUCH happier.
    Lining the Polaris net worked like a dream! We did the dreaded algae-under-the-steps maintenance this weekend. I had put a sock in the skimmer basket to keep this nasty stuff out of the sand filter while vacuuming, and that worked very well. Then I put several layers of cheese cloth inside the Polaris net and put it to work on the fine stuff, and boy howdy! Great job! Not only did it weight the net down just enough to keep it level but it turned green with stuff you can't even see.

I sure do appreciate your help!

+ Reply to Thread