+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dolphin Tale of Woes takes a WEIRD Turn!

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Dolphin Tale of Woes takes a WEIRD Turn!

So I DID try calling Smart Pools. I couldn't get to it until late in the afternoon....in yet another twist they closed shop at 4pm in anticipation of severe weather conditions expected at the Jersey Shore (they are in Lakewood, near Pt. Pleasant).

I did leave a message thanking them for the new Dolphin and telling them that I DID post it here, too. I post the good stuff as well as the bad.
    Carl

Just wait, they probably shipped it by mistake and will bill you for the new one

In my mind, they did too little too late and there is no way in hell I would ever buy another product from that company. I'm just glad I dealt with Cosco so I was able to return my worthless Dolphin Dynamic with no questions asked. The fact that they did something long after push came to shove proves they don't give a rats ass about customers.

I would strongly suggest anyone and everyone avoid them, there are too many other good products out there from companies that will take care of you without all this crap.

Well this is good news but a little late especially considering if you hadn't bought the blue diamond you'd have to rely on manual vacuuming (that sucks).

I think Maytronics came through and highly doubt Smartpools had anything to do with it. As someone already posted it's amazing they are even doing business with all that's going on over there.

Anyway, I think the Dolphin is a good cleaner IMHO. Knock on wood I haven't had any issues with my new one. My old Diagnostic had a motor fail and the local repair center fixed it within days and it has worked fine ever since.

There isn't a "perfect" cleaner. They all have their issues. I find I never use my remote. For anyone considering a new cleaner, save the money on the remote option and buy a Poolbuster. Much more efficient and cheaper too. Also less to go wrong with the robot.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

OK, More info:

Smart Pool, not Maytronics, decided to simply replace my Dolphin Dynamic with a brandy-new one.

I've packed and readied the old one for shipping back to them--they arranged for a call tag so they are having it picked up at their expense, not mine.

Yeah, I wish they had done it sooner, but it's better that they've done it now than not done it. I won't be billed for the new one--it's a replacement, in part because I've been a PITA and I've made sure lots of folks know about it.

I hope this brings about some changes at Smart Pool, and that Maytronics, too, is working for the changes. If in the future, people have better luck with their Dolphins and, more importantly, with service, it will be a good thing.

When the Dolphin worked, I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. It was less idiosyncratic than the Blue Diamond, even though it took 8 hours to cycle. I didn't have to pull the ladder out, and didn't have to worry about the cord getting chewed up, or the soaking wet unit sitting on its stand with the power supply UNDER it getting dripped on.

When it worked. But the B/D so far is sensational. Since they are sold by the same people who sell Pool Busters, and I've had good luck with the service dept for the P/B, I thought it might just be OK. I hope so. I don't want to go through this again. You just want to replace a belt or a hose or a something when it stops working, and then it works again.
    Carl

Sounds like a semi-happy ending

It may be true that SmartPool may have been a bit late on their actions, but they did seem to (end up) do the right thing. Perhaps this is a lesson for them as well as us...maybe it won't take them so long next time.

Side-note: As far as I can see...customer service seems to be a lost art. We're now in the world where I'm actually shocked if I get good service from a company. Hopefully companies are learning this isn't good (longterm) business, although I'm not holding my breath

congrats on the new Dolphin

dan

OK, "the proof of the pudding is in the tasting"

The old Dolphin was picked up by UPS--Smart Pool issued a call-tag so I didn't ship it to them. The new Dolphin is mine to keep. The old one will be "refurished" or used for demos (it was in pristine condition visually). Watch for S/N 100610BU34 if you buy a refurbished Dynamic...

Yesterday, I tossed it in the pool and turned it on. I didn't even use the remote to program it, I just let it default.

IT WORKED PERFECTLY! It climbed the walls, sucked up stuff nearby, in short, it performed EXACTLY as the old one did for nearly 2 years, which is why I loved it. It didn't get stuck on the ladder like the Blue Diamond does, and ONLY, after 8 hours, got stuck on the drop-in steps--there's no weight holding them down and it pulled the vinyl protector out from under it. But that's not a problem with the Dolphin. Even the new cart works better at rolling than the old one ever did.

So here's the question: The old Dolphin had "nothing wrong" according to Smart Pool, but wouldn't clean my pool. The new Dolphin, in the same pool, worked PERFECTLY. What's wrong with this picture?

Yes, I'm VERY grateful to Smart Pool for FINALLY resolving the problem, though I wish it had happened when I could return the Blue Diamond, which is more ideosyncratic, but very, very good.

Still, I think it's undeniable that the old Dolphin definitely had something wrong because the new one does what the old one didn't.
    Last edited by CarlD; 08-05-2006 at 10:03 AM.
    Carl

Carl, I am glad to hear that they finally fixed your problem - but that certainly is no way to run a company. There is no way that anyone should ever buy a high-tech mechanical product from a company like them that has proved they don't really stand behind their products unless you jump through hoops.

After returning my Dolphin I bought a Blue Pearl. It is a much less expensive product that cleans the pool better and faster and is easier to clean the bag on too.

VOLDADDY is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher VOLDADDY 1 star

Carl,

Congrats on resolution, finally. I would keep the Dolphin for sure, and either keep the BD or sell it on Ebay. Even if you lose $200 on the BD, it would be like paying $200 for a brand new Dolphin, that you don't have to remove ladders to use. Plus, you can bet if you have an issue with your new Dolphin, they will undoubtedly remember who you are and make sure you are taken care of promptly. Just remember, the squeaking wheel gets the grease.

+ Reply to Thread