Thread: Does Alkalinity Cause pH To Increase Faster?

Threaded View

Default Re: Does Alkalinity Cause pH To Increase Faster?

My Alkalinity is holding fairly steady at 50ppm. I have been taking notes about how adding bleach initially affects the pH. My pool is about 19,000 gallons. Adding one 3/4 gallon jug of 6% bleach adds about 2.4 ppm chlorine. I ran each test adding bleach after sunset and allowing to mix with the pool pump on for about 2 hours. I ran the tests several times with a starting pH range from 7.4 - 7.8.

In a nut shell, adding one jug of bleach to my pool at 50ppm Alk causes an initial pH increase of .2 or slightly less. I ran a few tests adding 2 jugs which would add 4.8 ppm chlorine to my pool. Adding 2 jugs resulted in an initial pH increase of .4 or slightly less. I say slightly less because some times the color did not look like it was fully developed to the mark on my Taylor comparitor. After 24 hours, my pH was back down to where it started before I added the bleach.

My in pool results are comparable to what I got in my jug tests. So I am convinced that, at least for my pool water, that running low alkalinity is the way to go. I am having to adjust my pH half as often as when I was running alkalinity around 100 and it takes about half as much acid to bring the pH down. So I am using less chemicals and from what I can tell I am getting better results.

If anyone can think of a reason to be concerned, please let me know. Otherwise I plan to continue to run low alkalinity.

Thanks,
    Jim
    Last edited by jereece; 08-20-2006 at 09:28 PM.